The Alpine SUV Will Be a Porsche Macan Alternative, Report Says
Alpine's obligatory volume-seller is reportedly expected to arrive before 2019.
If you thought the revived A110 would be the lone and only car to grace Alpine's 21st century lineup, think again. According to a report by Auto Express, the delightfully throaty sports coupe will be joined by a Porsche Macan-fighting crossover.
According to "Alpine insiders," a new, high-riding, money-printing Alpine is currently under development and will arrive sometime before 2019. Taking direct aim at posh mini-utes such as the aforementioned Porsche, Alfa Romeo Stelvio, and Jaguar F-Pace, the unnamed Alpine SUV will follow in its competitors footsteps in featuring a design heavily derived from its less practical brethren. So, think A110 skin grafted onto the bones of a crossover.
As for which crossover's bones it'll use, Alpine is spoiled for choice as SUV platforms from parent company Renault or step-parent Nissan are presumably up for grabs. Auto Express even speculates that Infiniti or Mercedes-Benz architecture could be on the table considering Benz's occasional bedmate status with the Yokohama-based automaker.
Engineers claim that Alpine's people-mover won't be a slouch, aiming for a lowest-in-its class curb weight and a four-wheel-steering system lifted and adapted from Renault's upcoming Mégane RS hot hatch. Also sourced from the Mégane RS will be the engine: the same 1.8-liter turbo four-cylinder also found in the Alpine A110. In that application, it's expected to produce 250 hp. Expect additional, larger (or electrified) engine choices to show up eventually.
On the inside, the report says Alpine's crossover will include sporty bucket seats in front of the customer's choice of either a two- or three-seat second row.
As the A110 was recently revealed to be a strictly non-American affair, we're not expecting for this to come to our shores either. Guess we'll just have to keep buying Range Rovers and Porsches.
- RELATEDListen To The Alpine A110 For The Next 16 MinutesHear the righteous revival of the Alpine A110.READ NOW
- RELATEDAlpine Unveils The A470, Their LMP2 Entry For The 2017 WEC SeasonThe 2016 World Endurance Championship LMP2 title holders will defending their honor with this 600hp beast.READ NOW
- RELATEDAlpine Releases Official Images of A110 Ahead of GenevaThe Renault-Nissan-owned French brand revives the A110, and it's beautiful.READ NOW
- RELATEDPorsche's Base Macan Is A Mix Of Cayenne And Audi A4You can get a base Macan for under fifty grand, but do you really want it?READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2017 Jaguar F-Pace Is Put Through the Family Vacation Test“F” is for “Family.”READ NOW