BMW's South Carolina Plant Becomes its Largest Production Facility
BMW is adding 1,000 jobs at the facility.
BMW announced in a press release Monday that its manufacturing facility in Spartanburg, South Carolina is now its largest production plant.
Spartanburg is responsible for the assembly and global exportation of BMW's X-Series crossovers, including the brand-new BMW X7. The facility can produce more than 400,000 vehicles per year, making it BMW's largest plant. It currently employs 9,000 workers and plans to add an additional 1,000 jobs by 2021. Since 1994, the factory has built nearly four million vehicles for delivery worldwide.
The facility was opened in 1992, and BMW is celebrating its 25th anniversary in the States with the next generation of its crossovers. The announcement came with a ceremony that also unveiled new information about the upcoming X3, which is one of the several cars produced in BMW's plant in the South.
The Germany luxury car company cited the US Department of Commerce, which stated that BMW is the largest automobile exporter in the US, generating $38.5 billion for the economy annually.
With its great success in the Western market, BMW wants to expand its operations further throughout the United States; it already has plans to invest $600 million into the Spartanburg location for the next four years of production.
- RELATEDStoned Assembly Line Workers Cost BMW $1 Million in One Day, Report ClaimsThe employees collapsed on the assembly line and shut down production for 40 minutes.READ NOW
- RELATEDHyundai Follows Suit, Will Invest Big in US ManufacturingThe automaker claims they will fork over $3.1 billion to American production.READ NOW
- RELATEDToyota Jumps on the Train, Will Invest Big in US ProductionAfter lashing from Trump, manufacturer makes big decision.READ NOW
- RELATEDVolvo Moving Production of Some Models to USAfter debating whether to open a new plant in Mexico or the United States, Volvo cites trade difficulties as reason for building new US plant.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW X7 Concept Coming to Frankfurt in September, Report ClaimsThe production version will be built in Spartanburg, South Carolina.READ NOW