Watch an Attentive Tesla Owner Override Autopilot and Save His Passengers
Remain alert, stay alive.
Tesla's autopilot version 8.0 found in the Tesla Model S is obviously an advanced piece of technology that has proven to be beneficial, even life-saving, in countless situations. Yet, there are still instances where human intervention is required to keep the occupants safe and the human sense of danger has a lot to do with it.
Only a human can truly predict the actions of another human. In the video below we see a fast acting driver go off instinct and the half second of time where a Ford Escape puts on its blinker before blindly changing lanes. The Tesla Model S appears to be traveling at highway speed at the time of the incident and comes within hairs of sideswiping the crossover. Fortunately, the Tesla Model S driver was able to disengage the autopilot and regain control fast enough to avoid the potentially fatal accident.
This incident is the perfect reminder for why Tesla owners should always remain aware when autopilot is engaged. Tesla's autopilot system is far from perfect and human intervention is frequently needed.
- RELATEDMinnesota Tesla Crash Driver Retracts Autopilot BlameThe black box would speak the truth if the driver didn't.READ NOW
- RELATEDAnother Tesla Owner Blames Autopilot for Model S Roll-Over CrashAfter a weekend crash in Minnesota, a Tesla owner blames his Model S' autopilot feature for causing an accident.READ NOW
- RELATEDWhen Stanford Roboticists Review Tesla Autopilot, They Don't Send Their BestIs Heather Knight the Kendall Jenner of Self-Driving Cars?READ NOW
- RELATEDElon Musk Promises Next Tesla Autopilot Update Will Bring Better SteeringAn upcoming update will smooth out Autopilot's automated steering, says Musk.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla Owners File Lawsuit Over Alleged Autopilot FaultsA lawsuit by three Tesla owners accuses the company of selling cars with faulty Autopilot systems.READ NOW