Pure Aesthetics: A Look at Night Racing at 2017 Petit Le Mans
The final hours of the IMSA season finale are undoubtedly the best—and the prettiest.
As The Drive found out this past weekend at the 2017 Motul Petit Le Mans, nothing beats getting up close and personal with some of the world's top sports cars. The smell of race gas and the sound of crackling exhausts are enough to tip you off while the stunning visuals of night racing get you itching for more, more, more. Here, we've collected some of our best shots to show you just what we're talking about.
Multi-class racing is a beautiful spectacle in its own right, so when you combine them with the glowing hues that lit up Road Atlanta on Saturday night, you've got a winning recipe for peak photography.
Perhaps the greatest example of this is displayed at the track's famed uphill esses. High speed entry makes for hard turn-ins, and bottoming out near the start of the hill throws sparks aplenty. Keeping on the loud-pedal, each of these GT cars and prototypes let out their own distinguishable shriek (or grunt) that make you literally laugh out loud–especially those ungodly Porsche 911 RSR GTLM twins.
Collectively, this past race weekend was one that nobody will soon put behind them. Whether it be the winning RLL BMW team of GTLM or the awe-struck Ford GT cars that crashed out with little time remaining, everyone on the grid and in the stands will keep this one in their pocket when they need help remembering what makes modern motorsport as good as the olden days.
For more action shots from the 20th running of Petit Le Mans, head over to Rip Shaub's channel Track/Side. A collection of GT and prototype cars can be found there, with tons of other fun stuff mixed in for good measure.
- RELATED2017 Petit Le Mans: Weekend in ReviewFrom victories to records and 10 hours of action in between, here's our recount of the IMSA season's final race.READ NOW
- RELATEDMotorsports Photography: The Art Of Racing – IMSA Night Racing At Motul Petit Le MansNight racing is a rare treat. It's taxing on drivers and photographers alike. But when it comes together, it makes for striking photography.READ NOW
- RELATED20th Running Of The Petit Le Mans At Road AtlantaPhotos from IMSA's end of season 10 hour Petit Le Mans.READ NOW
- RELATEDBill Auberlen Celebrates Victory After 400th BMW Start at 2017 Petit Le MansAs a matter of fact, he's won in nearly 38 percent of his starts with the Bavarian marque.READ NOW
- RELATEDTeam Penske Takes Pole for 2017 Motul Petit Le MansScuderia Corsa will start first in GTD while Risi Competizione manages P1 in GTLM starting grid.READ NOW