Best Greases: Effective Lubrication for a Smooth Performance
These are the three best greases from the current market for your vehicle
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON February 10, 2020
Grease is the most common multipurpose lubricant used for automotive and industrial applications. For lubricating any bearing assembly in your vehicle, it is essential to choose the right grease. The two most common ingredients in any grease are the oil and the thickening agent. Special compounds are also added to meet the demands of specific applications or environments. We have chosen the top three greases from the current market to help you select the right product.
- Best OverallValvoline SynPower Synthetic Automotive GreaseSummarySummary
This grease is composed of a lithium-based complex thickened in oil, along with premium grade additives. It operates within a broad temperature range of minus 60 to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. It can handle high loads and provides excellent corrosion resistance.ProsPros
The addition of molybdenum provides better film strength. It is an ideal choice for extreme pressure conditions. The product is also easy to apply and suitable for automotive as well as industrial use.ConsCons
The product components separate after prolonged storage. This may lead to a leakage of oil. It is also not suitable for marine use.
- Best ValueLucas Oil 10301 Heavy Duty GreaseSummarySummaryThis grease is a good choice for heavy-duty vehicles and farm equipment. It can be used at high temperatures and on high-speed bearings. Special additives make it suitable for withstanding high pressure.ProsPros
The grease offers good stability, even in extreme temperatures. It is also waterproof and more effective for outdoor equipment. It lasts longer than regular grease.ConsCons
This product is not ideal for use on vehicle brakes. It is not sufficiently waterproof for marine equipment. It does not mix with lithium-based greases.
- Honorable MentionMaxima 80916 Waterproof GreaseSummarySummaryThis lithium-based grease has high-density polymers to remain effective, even in extreme temperatures. The special additives make it capable of handling high loads. It also contains rust and corrosion inhibitors.ProsProsThis grease is salt water-resistant and suitable for marine equipment. It can resist heat and shock loads effectively. It is also resistant to washouts and lasts longer.ConsCons
Applying the grease can be messy. The sticky nature also attracts dirt and grit, so the application needs to be done carefully.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
- A water-resistant grease will offer effective shielding against water drops and moisture. This property also helps to protect the metal parts more effectively against corrosion.
- A grease that can withstand extreme temperatures will not break down easily. Temperatures in automobile bearings can get high, so choose a grease that can operate within a large temperature range.
- The viscosity of grease makes it thin or extremely thick. For automotive use, a viscosity rating of two is an ideal choice, as it makes application easy.
Q: What are multipurpose greases?
A: These greases combine some of the best properties of other special greases. This makes them suitable for a wide variety of applications. Lithium-based greases are popular as multipurpose grease.
Q: How long can I store unused grease?
A: When stored for long periods under poor conditions, grease can go bad. Often the oil and solids in the grease separate, making it unusable. Check the guidelines from the manufacturer for storing the grease.
Q: Can I mix two types of grease?
A: It is best not to mix two different types of grease. In many cases, thickeners and additives in two different greases can be incompatible with each other. This will make the mixture ineffective as a lubricant.
The Valvoline SynPower Synthetic Automotive Grease is a premium-grade product that is ideal for a wide variety of equipment.
For those who are seeking a value for money product, the Lucas Oil 10301 Heavy Duty Grease is a good option.