Waze Carpool Expands to Serve All of California
And users of the service could begin to see ads.
After three months in operation, Waze Carpool is growing from its current San Francisco Bay Area limits to the entire state of California starting on June 6th, according to Recode.
Previously, the Google-run carpool service was only available in the Bay Area and in Israel. In addition to the rest of the western state scoring access to the service, Waze is also looking to expand to Brazil, according to Zdnet.
In addition, Waze Carpool users reportedly may start to see new ads popping up while using the app.
Though similar to Uber Pool and Lyft Line, the service isn't exactly meant to fight against the likes of those programs. Instead, it's more of an honest effort to try and encourage carpooling to get more cars off the roads. Drivers who use Carpool are only paid what the app calculates is fair to cover gas, and Waze takes none of that from the driver. As Recode notes, other than these new potential ads, Waze Carpool has no way of funding itself.
Even though Waze is a Google-owned property, there are no intentions to merge the map app with Alphabet's self-driving car division, Waymo, according to Recode.
“Waze is thinking about the driver experience today, and self-driving cars are not ready for the mainstream, but traffic is here and now,” Waze business development head, Josh Fried, said to Recode.
- RELATEDSouth China Sea Underwater "Environmental" Sensor Net Could Track U.S. SubsOfficially, China's planned system will gather scientific data, but it also has an unspecified "national defense" role.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW Will Now Sell You Your Own M4 Factory Race CarFor when the $133,000 M4 GTS just isn't hardcore enough.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis 2013 BMW M3 CRT Is For Sale…for Nearly $300,000Legally, you'll only be allowed to drive it 2,500 miles a year.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew York Auto Show Model Claims Hyundai Fired Her for Having Her PeriodThe complaint could lead to a discrimination lawsuit in federal court.READ NOW
- RELATEDAll Hail Waze, King of the Map AppsStop everything, download it to your phone and put a match to your maps.READ NOW