A documentary filmmaker and former producer for MotorWeek on PBS, Joe Ligo is a contributing writer at The Drive. He enjoys researching and writing about lesser-known intersections of cars and pop culture, as well as the history of defunct U.S. automakers. He owns a 1972 AMC Ambassador and is currently working on a documentary about the history of American Motors Corporation.
- Interests include automotive history, agriculture, cooking, electric vehicles, and what makes car companies succeed or fail.
- He’s an enthusiastic member of the American Motors Owners Association (AMO).
- He’s interviewed Malcom Bricklin, was once retweeted by Jim Farley, and met the two guys from Air Supply.
- Bylines include The Drive and Hagerty, and he’s produced video content for MotorWeek and founded the YouTube channel Automoments.
Joe started contributing to The Drive in spring of 2021. Prior to that, he produced the Emmy-winning TV series Maryland Farm & Harvest, and prior to that he was a video/producer editor for the TV show MotorWeek. His 2013 documentary, The Unfortunate History of the AMC Pacer, placed 3rd at the National College Television Emmy Awards.
Joe grew up on a farm and attended college for broadcast communications.
Nobody in his family has ever owned a “fun” car. The closest was his father's brief time with a 4-cylinder Mustang II.
- Inside the Rambler Ranch, One of the World’s Greatest Automotive Collections Hiding in Rural ColoradoThe Drive
- Parked in Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood: What Fred Rogers Taught Us About CarsThe Drive
- How a small fender-bender in my ’72 AMC turned into a big headacheHagerty
- The Velour-Lined Rocket: 1987 Buick Regal Limited TurboMotorWeek
- The Unfortunate History of the AMC PacerAutoMoments
Get latest from Joe Ligo
By Joe Ligo / Published Oct 6, 2022
By Joe Ligo / Published Jul 26, 2022
By Joe Ligo / Published Jun 23, 2022
Inside the Rambler Ranch, One of the World’s Greatest Automotive Collections Hiding in Rural Colorado
By Joe Ligo / Published Aug 3, 2021
By Joe Ligo / Published May 20, 2021
By Joe Ligo / Published May 19, 2021