What Is This Car Porsche Keeps Teasing?
This secret sports car has been teased in Porsche videos for a month, what is it, and when will we see it?
In three different YouTube videos, Porsche has teased a new car by showing it under a car cover. It is entirely possible that these are three completely separate models, but we're banking on them all being the same car. Porsche is going to an awful lot of trouble to continue showing this car without really showing it, trying to drum up some excitement for their future model. Based on the context of the car's 'secret identity', its shape from three different angles, and a few hints from elsewhere, we think we know what this car is, but how sure are we? In short, not very. Porsche is known for their subterfuge, and this whole thing could be nothing more than that.
Beginning at the front of the car with the screenshot shown above, we can see that this is likely to be a 911-based car. You can clearly see the 991-generation headlight/fender shape, and the leading edge of the fender. The cover here is tight enough to the leading edge of the bumper to give us the impression of
This second screen capture was taken from a recent GT3 testing video. At the very end of the short video, the German man in this frame says "
The first time we saw this car was during Porsche's Geneva Motor Show event for the GT3. A man walks into a garage with two cars covered and flips a coin. Whatever the coin read, it meant that he took the cover off of the GT3 and went for a drive around the track. The other car remained
So, having presented all of this evidence, what do we think this car is? Well, we're leaning toward a new 911 GT2. In an interview with Autocar nearly two years ago, Porsche GT boss Andreas Preuninger noted that a GT2 would be coming at the end of the "Gen 2" series of 991 near 2018. The 997 generation GT2 RS produced 611 horsepower, but you can nearly get that from the current Turbo S. In order to be really wild, you'd have to expect in excess of 650 horses. We won't know for sure what this car is until it bows officially. Porsche has said before that they're putting a lot of effort into their New York Auto Show booth, so perhaps we'll see it as soon as next month.
- RELATEDWatch This Fire-Spitting, Wheel-Standing Porsche 911 GT2 Tear Up the Drag StripThis turbocharged terror is a beast unleashed.READ NOW
- RELATEDBisimoto Shows Off GT2-Powered Classic 911 At PRI ShowBecause who doesn't need 600 horsepower in a 2500 pound car?READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the Next Porsche 911 GT2 RS Tear Up The NürburgringAs ever, the Porsche 911 GT2 is mostly wing.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew Porsche 911 GT2 Spy Shots Leaked and Google Maps Gets an Upgrade: The Evening RushPlus, Dakine has a party bucket waiting for you and Patagonia polos are on sale.READ NOW
- RELATEDEverything You Need To Know About Porsche's New GT3It's so much more than a manual gearboxREAD NOW