Drive Wire for October 12, 2016: Ford Stops Mustang Production After September Sales Slump
But the Mustang is still trouncing the Camaro in sales for the year.
Hey there. Will Sabel Courtney here for Drive Wire on October 12th, 2016.
Today on Drive Wire: Ford has temporarily shut down the Mustang assembly line in the wake of a slow September for the iconic muscle car.
According to Bloomberg, the Ford Mustang factory in Flat Rock, Michigan has been idled for a week. The plant, which employs more than 3,700 people and also builds the new Lincoln Continental, will resume operation on October 17th, a Ford spokesperson reportedly said.
September was a tough month for the Mustang, with sales falling 32 percent versus the previous year. The drop was enough to help give the Mustang’s arch-rival, the Chevy Camaro, the lead in the sales race for the first time in 22 months.
That said, Ford Mustang sales are still well ahead of the Camaro for 2016. So far, Ford has sold more than 87,000 Mustangs this year, compared with a little more than 54,000 Camaro sales for General Motors.
That’s it for Drive Wire on October 12th, 2016. I’m Will Sabel Courtney; thanks for watching, and please check out The Drive for more on the big stories from the transportation world.
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 12, 2016: BMW Reveals Shapeshifting, Self-Balancing MotorcycleIt's just a concept for now, however.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 11th, 2016: San Marino Rally Crash Kills 1, Injures 8A Renault Clio rally car went flying straight into the crowd.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 10, 2016: Monticello Motor Club Hosts Inaugural Art in Motion Concours d'EleganceEngland has the Goodwood Festival of Speed; the Northeast now has Art in Motion.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 10, 2016: Google Outfits First Self-Driving Chrysler Pacifica Minivan PrototypesWith the influx of 100 minivans from FCA, Google's fleet will more than double.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 4, 2016: Fisker Plans to Reveal New Electric Car Next YearNew model will be the “spiritual successor” to the Fisker Karma, bossman says.READ NOW