This Twin-Turbo Dodge Viper Just Set The RWD Record in the Half Mile
237 MPH of venomous V-10 speed.
Half-mile dragsters just keep getting crazier. Highly modified versions of what used to be road cars come out in flocks to attack the airstrip with thousands of horsepower a piece, setting records and dropping jaws in their wake. While some of the fastest times are set by all wheel drive cars, the real driver stars launch their rear wheel drive machines to speeds higher than that of most Italian supercars, and this TT Dodge Viper just became the fastest of them all with a half-mile speed of 237 MPH.
That's not far off the speed of the world's fastest car, a 3,000 horsepower Nissan GTR that broke the record earlier in the year. Thanks to a skillful right foot and unmatched throttle modulation, this driver was able to launch the two wheel drive machine off the line and achieve a speed that's just 18.5 MPH slower than the aforementioned overall title holder.
One stat that doesn't show up on the slip is how filthy this thing sounds. While we won't knock the twin-turbo V-6 that's in the GTR, it's undeniable that a hard-hitting V-10 like the one here is just cooler. With flames spitting out of the side-dump exhaust, it has all of the theatrics to go along with that absurd speed.
Though the car's fastest run isn't captured in the video, repeated attempts of over 220 MPH show that this thing is as consistent as it is quick. Not to mention the driver, who surely has more manhood than I ever will. One thing is for sure -- it's earned its crown for fastest RWD half-mile car in the world.
- RELATEDWatch the World's Fastest Nissan GT-R Destroy Half-Mile Record at 255 MPHWhat do you know, 3,000 horsepower does the trick.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This 1,800-HP Lamborghini Huracan Shatter the Half-Mile at 222 MPHCan you ever have too much of twin-turbo Lambos annihilating drag strips?READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This 2,300 Horsepower General Lee Dodge Viper Dominate the Half-MileLooks like them Duke boys are at it again...READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Tuned Cadillac CTS-V Blow Away a Dodge Charger Hellcat in a Half-Mile Drag RaceThe Hellcat gets the jump off the line, but the CTS-V quickly shows Dodge who is boss.READ NOW
- RELATEDTwin-Turbo Lamborghini Huracan Sets Half-Mile World Record of 250 MPHSo fast, it almost outruns its own sound.READ NOW