2019 Ferrari 488 Pista Spider Surprises at Pebble Beach
Hardcore Ferraristi may now enjoy the latest Prancing Horse al fresco.
Year, Make, Model: 2019 Ferrari 488 Pista Spider
Top Line: The Ferrari 488 Spider receives the hardcore treatment from Maranello and becomes the 50th convertible from the adored Italian brand.
What's New: The 488 Pista Spider now boasts the same tweaks as the fixed-roof Ferrari 488 Pista. The Spider's 3.9-liter twin-turbo V-8 makes 710 horsepower and 568 pound-feet of torque, compared to the standard Spider's 660 horsepower and 560 pound-feet of torque. It also features the lowest power to weight ratio ever in a convertible Ferrari, producing approximately one horsepower 4.28 pounds. Ferrari lists the dry weight as 1,380 kilograms, or roughly 3,042 pounds when outfitted optional lightweight components.
Ferrari's biggest challenge was to ensure that the aerodynamics of the Spider matched those of the traditional model, so they've used a racing stripe that runs the length of the car to represent the airflow as it moves through the vehicle. The stripe ends at the rear spoiler where the airflow creates rear downforce before leaving the body.
To save even more weight the 488 Pista Spider uses lighter bodywork and interior components. Alcantara and carbon fiber are used generously throughout the cabin, the carpets have been replaced with aluminum, and the driver's side door handle is just a strap.
A new stability control system, the Ferrari Dynamic Enhancer, has been installed to make driving on the limit be more controllable and predictable. Lastly, optional one-piece carbon fiber wheels will be available, which offer a 20-percent weight reduction over the standard alloys.
Quotable: "The Ferrari 488 Pista Spider is the 50th drop-top model from the Prancing Horse and a premiere in the US was a natural choice given that, ever since the 1950s, North American clients have always been keen connoisseurs of high-performance convertibles," read a statement released by Ferrari.
"In terms of engineering, the Ferrari 488 Pista Spider is directly derived from the 488 Pista which encapsulates all the racing experience gathered on world’s circuits with the 488 Challenge and the 488 GTE. As a result, the new Spider offers the highest level yet of technological transfer from the track to a road-legal drop-top car."
What You Need to Know: The Ferrari 488 Pista Spider matches the performance of its fixed-roof sibling while incorporating a power-retractable hardtop for open-air driving. The Spider weighs roughly 200 pounds more than the coupe but maintains the same zero to 62 time of 2.85 seconds and a top speed of 211 miles per hour.
- RELATEDThe Ferrari 488 Pista Has Eight Cylinders of Fiorano-Stomping FuryThis 710-hp monster is less than two seconds slower around Ferrari's circuit than the La Ferrari hypercar, yet more than a million bucks cheaper.READ NOW
- RELATEDSpecial Edition ‘Piloti Ferrari’ 488 Pista Reserved for Racing Drivers OnlyThis wheeled tribute points to the manufacturer's FIA World Endurance Championship success.READ NOW
- RELATEDRental Ferrari Driver Busted at 137 MPH Tells Police She Thought She Was Only Doing 100Not the best excuse when trying to talk your way out of a ticket.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Ferrari 488 Pista First Drive in Italy: Maranello's Newest Is As Much Superhero as SupercarHow does the fastest, most powerful Ferrari V-8 in history sound? Better than the soft-spoken 488 GTB, that's for sure.READ NOW
- RELATEDWe Gave Spike Feresten a Ferrari 488 Spider and a McLaren 570GTWatch the comic and Esquire show host pit two supercars against each other...and Manhattan traffic.READ NOW