First Shelby Cobra Ever Built Breaks Auction Records at Monterey
Patinaed CSX2000 pulls a mint.
The star of this year’s RM Sotheby’s Monterey Auction at Pebble Beach was undoubtedly a blue 1962 Shelby Cobra. Not just any blue 1962 Shelby Cobra, mind you. No, this is chassis CSX2000, the very first example ever built. It’s rolling piece of history, the crème de la crème of prototypes. Over five decades, it had never been outside Carroll Shelby's stewardship, initially as part of his personal collection, and, since his death in 2012, part of the the Carroll Hall Shelby Trust. When the gavel fell Friday night, it officially became the most expensive American car ever sold at auction.
Final price? A cool $13.8 million, including auction fees. That puts it in the same league as the incredible Aston Martin DB4GT Zagato at December's RM New York, and Alfonso de Portago’s Ferrari 250 GT Tour de France, which sold at Pebble Beach last year. The previous record-holder for American car at auction was a 1968 Ford GT40 Gulf/Mirage Lightweight, driven by Jacky Ickx to a win a Spa and also used on the set of 1971’s Le Mans. That car sold in 2012 for $11 million.
Of course, the GT40 is prime. But somehow Shelby’s own Shelby holding the title feels more appropriate. The man was a hustler, a Texan, a visionary. Shrewd, sometimes ruthless, and enamored of hot rodding. And, now, the mastermind behind the most expensive American used car on the books.
Yeah, seems about right.
- RELATED7 Unmissable Shelbys Going Up for Auction at Pebble BeachThe Carroll Shelby Trust just furnished seven iconic Mustangs, Cobras, and an Omni from its private collection.READ NOW
- RELATED8 Pebble Beach Auction Cars You’ve Never Heard OfThese weirdos are funky flotsam on a beautiful tide of Mercedes Gullwings and Ferrari GTOs.READ NOW
- RELATEDAt Pebble Beach, Driving the Eighties with David GoodingAn exclusive spin in a trio of ultimate 80s Group B cars.READ NOW
- RELATEDDawn Patrol at Pebble Beach Is the Best Pebble BeachAt the Concours, the coolest hour is just before the dawn.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for August 16, 2016: Cadillac Offers Sneak Peek of Its Pebble Beach Concept CarWe'll have to wait until Thursday to see the whole vehicle.READ NOW