Nissan Teases New Leaf With Headlight Picture
"Amazing things are worth waiting for." Nissan is going for the hard sell, apparently.
Nissan Electric shared a picture on social media this morning of the headlight of the next-generation Leaf EV. This is our first official look at the car.
We've seen spy photos here and there of the new Leaf, but nothing yet without camouflage. With nothing but rumors and hints so far, it's exciting to get a real look at the real car. Unfortunately, this headlight picture only tells us so much.
It confirms some of what we already thought; that it’s speaking Nissan’s current design language in the vein of the Maxima and Murano. We’re expecting the new Leaf to look more like a conventional hatchback and less like an alien car that’s trying too hard to look different.
The new Leaf is expected to come out later this year, which is none too soon. The current Leaf has been around since 2010 and it’s long in the tooth with competitors like the Chevy Bolt far outpacing the Nissan and its now unimpressive 107-mile range. It’s not confirmed, but it’s likely the range of the new Leaf will be over 200 miles. It needs to be in order to stay competitive.
The second-gen Leaf will also have ProPILOT semi-autonomous technology. ProPILOT uses a unique aid named SAM (Seamless Autonomous Mobility) which communicates with technicians that assist self-driving cars in difficult settings like construction zones.
With all of the anticipated improvements in range, styling, and semi-autonomy, it sounds like the second-generation Nissan Leaf will have a lot to offer. It could play an important role in converting more of the general public to EV life. Expect an official unveiling this September with arrival in showrooms shortly after.
- RELATEDNext Generation Nissan Leaf Will Go On Sale This YearThe revival of the brand's EV is coming in hot for 2017.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew Nissan Leaf Will Feature ProPilot Autonomous EquipmentNissan's dabbling in autonomy will soon makes its debut.READ NOW
- RELATEDNissan Exec Hints at 200-Mile Leaf, Longer-Range Electric Car for 2020The next Nissan Leaf will have a much longer range than the current model, and Nissan may launch a second electric car in 2020 that will top it.READ NOW
- RELATEDNissan Tweets its All-New Leaf Will Be Revealed in SeptemberHopefully we will see a better range out of the next generation Leaf.READ NOW
- RELATEDNissan, Mobileye Team Up on Maps for Self-Driving CarsWe’re a step closer to a global map for autonomous cars.READ NOW