The Best Tactical Backpacks: Efficiently Organize Your Gear
Be ready for anything with a tactical backpack on your back
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
You may think a backpack is just a backpack. The average backpack can carry books and supplies, but it can’t stand up to much more. You need a special, more capable backpack if you’re hunting, hiking, traveling, heading out on a survival trip, or need military-grade gear. And if you need a backpack that can handle every one of your needs and survive in rough, rugged environments, a tactical backpack is the perfect option.
These tough backpacks are designed to withstand heavy-duty use. They’re durable, sturdy, and able to endure all types of weather and conditions while outdoors. And a tactical backpack offers enough inside and out for your gear. You can check out some of the very best tactical backpacks in the guide below.
This rugged tactical backpack is considered a three-day assault bag. It has a 40-liter capacity and is constructed of high-density fabric with a polyester lining.
- Has a MOLLE system and double-stitched zippers
- Ventilated mesh-padded on back and shoulders
- Hydration compatible
- Compression straps are very long
- Waist belt comes loose
This canvas and polyester bag comes in seven color options. It has an adjustable yoke, padded straps, and sternum slider.
- Has a MOLLE system Hydration compatible
- Flag patch on front
- Side pouch for water bottle
- Zippers are not durable
- Some reviewers complain about quality control
This three-day tactical assault bag comes in five colors. It’s high density double-stitched 900D Oxford & nylon fabric and is water-resistant.
- Three rows of MOLLE
- Velcro areas
- Adjustable straps and ventilated padding
- Lack of structural support in the back
- Zippers are not durable
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of a Tactical Backpacks
- Carry more. Tactical backpacks are larger than standard backpacks. They also have better-designed compartments, enabling you to carry significantly more.
- Stay organized. You’ll find several pockets and compartments on tactical backpacks. There are various sizes and shapes to give you a lot of options when organizing your gear.
- Be more comfortable. Tactical backpacks have better designs to account for the human body. They have more straps for securing the back to your body. There is better and more padding to cushion the weight.
Types of Tactical Backpacks
These tactical backpacks take the typical commuter backpack and give it a serious upgrade. You’ll find them to be smaller than standard tactical backpacks because they’re meant for carrying a day’s worth of gear. They have more compartments and larger storage capacity than a typical commuter backpack. The materials used to construct commuter tactical backpacks are more durable than standard commuter backpacks.
These tactical backpacks are designed to be lightweight since you’ll be carrying them while hiking over rougher terrain or longer distances while backpacking. They have several compartments that are designed for holding camping gear. These backpacks are designed to be bigger than the commuter style of a tactical backpack. They typically come in natural colors, but you may find some that are more colorful.
These are the closest you’ll come to having a military tactical backpack without buying an actual military-issued bag. They come in colors like desert, sand, and camo. They’ll have similar compartments and MOLLE systems that you’ll find on military bags. These backpacks also tend to have the largest storage capacity, making them perfect for travel, long trips, or activities that require a lot of gear.
Founded by an Afghanistan combat veteran, Tacticon’s focus is creating reliable and high-quality tactical gear. Its product line is curated with custom made products that feature innovative features and designs. Check out the 24 Battle Pack Tactical Backpack that’s a perfect example of the company’s commitment to quality.
Reebow’s focus is to produce high-quality performance tactical gear. Its product line is meant for those who hunt, enjoy the outdoors, play airsoft paintball, or are in the military. Each product is extensively tested to ensure reliability in extreme conditions, such as the Military Tactical Assault Pack Backpack, which is lightweight and versatile.
Founded in 2019, G4Free focuses on building a product line designed to make outdoor activities more comfortable. Through extensive research and development, its product line continues to grow. The G4Free Outdoor Tactical Backpack is small yet has plenty of compartments for carrying a surprising amount of gear.
Tactical Backpack Pricing
- Under $40: These are considered budget tactical backpacks. They use quality material but tend to be smaller and have more general use compartment designs.
- $40 to $70: Tactical backpacks in this range are reliable and durable. You’ll find various combinations of features and compartment setups.
- $70 and up: These are the highest quality and largest of the tactical backpacks. They’ll have the most features, use the toughest material, and have more comfort qualities. They also tend to have the most MOLLE system locations.
Size and Compartments
Tactical backpacks come in a variety of sizes and compartment setups. You need to choose a backpack big enough to carry all of your gear. However, it shouldn’t be so big that you can’t comfortably carry it. There should also be a variety of compartment sizes to hold smaller items to help you stay organized.
The weight of your backpack will become uncomfortable with extended wear if your backpack doesn’t have padding. Look for padding on the back panel to protect the spine and padding on the shoulder and waist strap. The padding should also be breathable; otherwise, you’ll get hot and begin to sweat under these contact points.
Since tactical backpacks are designed to carry a lot of gear, they can become quite heavy. Because of this, they have additional straps that encircle your body. These straps need to fit around your body so that you can use them. Measure your shoulders, torso, chest, and waist, as these are the points on your body where the straps secure.
- Hydration Pack. Some tactical backpacks come with a hydration pack or are compatible with one to be added later. If you plan to take your backpack to remote locations, this can be a useful feature to help you stay hydrated. It should be a soft-sided bladder that’s removable for easier cleaning.
- Material. The stronger and more durable the fabric is, the tougher your backpack will be. Look for abrasion-resistant fabric. It should also have a waterproofing treatment to keep your belongings dry. Most backpacks use a nylon or polyester fabric with a high denier rating. The higher the rating, the more durable the fabric.
- MOLLE System. Any tactical backpack worth its salt will have a MOLLE system. This lets you customize your backpack with smaller specialized storage compartments and tool holsters. You’ll be able to expand your storage capacity significantly with this system. You’ll find most MOLLE systems on the upper front of the backpack, but higher-end backpacks will have them on the bottom and sides also.
Best Tactical Backpack Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Test your bag out before you need to use it. This gives you a chance to ensure it will work for your intended purpose. Load the bag up with everything you plan to bring with you.
- Put the bag on and adjust the straps. The padding needs to sit on your shoulders with the sternum and waist straps at the proper levels to reduce stress on your body.
- Don’t forget to purchase additional compartments for use with your MOLLE system. This enables you to carry water bottles, knives, tools, and a variety of other necessities.
Q: What are the best tactical backpacks?
The best tactical backpacks use durable high-density fabric with double stitching. They have a large storage capacity by utilizing several compartments. They also have a MOLLE system for additional customized storage.
Q: What is a tactical backpack?
Tactical backpacks are inspired by military backpacks. They’re designed to be rugged and highly functional. These backpacks maximize comfort to allow you to carry a lot of gear in a compact space.
Q: How much is the best waterproof tactical backpack?
You can find high-quality tactical backpacks that are also waterproof for around $40, but the best will cost upwards of $100 or more.
The Reebow Gear Tactical Backpack stands out as an ideal choice with its durable and rugged construction and extensive MOLLE system. For a more affordable option, the SOG Ninja Tactical Day Pack doesn’t disappoint with its adjustability and padding.