Best Oil Extractors: Drain Old Oil Neatly and Efficiently
Drain old oil quickly and neatly to improve the performance of your vehicle
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
One of the regular services a vehicle needs is the removal of old oil. This process can be time consuming if done the traditional way. That’s why many car owners visit the mechanic regularly and pay to have their oil drained. We have assembled some of the best oil extractors on the market to help you remove old oil neatly and quickly on your own without spending money on a mechanic.
With a 1.6 liter per minute speed, this extractor is fast. The included different diameter tubes ensure no oil is left behind. It also comes with a valve and a safety cap.
One disadvantage is that it may not work well with synthetic oil. Also, once you remove the adapter, there is no cap to seal the opening.
If you are looking for a pocket-sized yet efficient extractor, this pick might impress you. It is portable and does not need electricity; therefore, it can be used on boats, cars, and bikes. It features a large-based container for safe and stable storage.
It features a removable pump for stress-free storage. The container capacity is eight quarts. Additionally, its metal construction is durable.
It requires continuous pumping, which is tiresome. Also, this extractor may not work on all cars.
This extractor uses vacuum pressure, so it can be used anywhere. Its sturdy container holds up to six liters, and it includes a spout for stress-free emptying.
One advantage of this extractor is that it has a large-capacity reservoir that shows fluid volume conveniently. It is easy to use and can be used on various automobiles.
The evacuation tube diameter is small, so it might not be fast enough. Also, the pump is not a screw on; therefore, you may need to hold it while pumping.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Oil Extractors
- Save time. Using an oil extractor will save you several trips to the mechanic shop because you’ll be able to remove and replace the oil in your vehicle yourself. You won’t have to make an appointment and wait while your car gets worked on.
- Save money. Instead of paying for repeated service, you can make a one-time purchase of an oil extractor pump. You’ll also save on service fees and markups on the engine oil and filter with the DIY method.
- Easy Maintenance. An oil extractor makes an oil change for lawn mowers or rural equipment easy. You can bring the extractor to where the machinery is to remove the oil and perform any necessary work.
Types of Oil Extractors
Since these are manually operated, they don’t require any electricity. To use this style of pump, you’ll need to hand pump until you can use the vacuum fluid extractor. This is when suction will take over to siphon out the motor oil. A manual pump is a good choice for those who need a truly portable pump or have small jobs that they need to have done.
This is the most common style of pump. You have the option of using them manually or electrically. There’s an air compressor that connects to the extractor. This creates the pressure needed to create the necessary suction. If you don’t have access to power, then you can use the manual backup option to operate the pump.
You’ll need a power source to operate an electrical pump. Most options will connect to your car battery for power. This type of pump is most commonly used in emergencies or maritime applications, where connecting to the battery is the only option. Be sure that the pump is compatible with your battery before purchasing one.
Based out of New York, OEM Tools is one of the largest manufacturers and distributors of automotive tools. The company focuses on producing tools that help the DIY car owner. The product line features more than 1,000 specialty tools. Check out the OEMTOOLS 24389 Manual Fluid Extractor.
Since 1971, Mityvac has produced diagnostic and repair tools. The company has led the industry in pump innovation and holds several patents. Its products embody both innovation and quality. Experience it for yourself with the Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus.
With more than 20 years of design history, the team at EWK focuses on developing and manufacturing automotive repair tools. It has 20 warehouses located worldwide to ensure fast and reliable delivery. The EWK Pneumatic Oil Fluid Extractor Pump is sure to please.
Based in Emporia, Kansas, Airpower America specializes in oil changers, floor air pumps, and replacement parts. The company wants to provide its customers with quality equipment and customer support. The Airpower America 2000LV Green Large Oil Extractor is a quality piece of equipment.
Oil Extractors Pricing
- Under $40:These are simple pumps that consist of a handheld pump and a hose. They typically won’t have a reservoir, and if they do, it’s quite small. They won’t have any safety or convenience features.
- $40 to $75: This is the price range that most high-quality extractors sell at. You’ll find safety features and reservoirs that hold a few liters included. These extractors are portable and may come with several hose options.
- Above $75: These are typically large pumps with the largest reservoirs and can be suitable for commercial use. You’ll find the most amount of features and options with these extractors.
If you want your extractor to be portable, then you need to look for a personal use pump. These are smaller units that are meant for carrying around. Look at the dimensions and weight of a pump when deciding if it’s something you want to carry. Keep in mind that a unit that’s too small may not have the capacity needed to fully extract the oil without emptying the reservoir mid-extraction.
Look for safety features to ensure that you have a clean extraction process. There should be a flow control valve and automatic shut-off for immediately stopping the flow of oil. This will prevent your reservoir from overflowing. Another good feature is a suction pipe that directs the oil from the engine to the disposal container to prevent accidental spills.
Look for a pump that has a reservoir big enough to hold all of the oil that you need to extract. Sizes typically range from 1.5 to 95 liters. The smaller end of the spectrum is better suited for personal use. The higher end of the spectrum is better suited for heavy-duty commercial or industrial use. Keep in mind that the bigger the capacity, the less portable it will become.
- Convenience. Look for an extraction pump that makes it easy to use. One that allows you to pump the fluid directly from the engine to the disposal container makes for the most convenient operation. Having multiple tubes also makes for quicker and easier extraction. Size also factors into the convenience of the unit.
- Pumping Speed. While it doesn’t directly factor into the pump’s overall effectiveness, the speed at which it pumps can affect how long the entire extraction process will take. Look for features that will help the pump remove the oil faster, such as larger diameter nylon tubes or strong pumping action.
- Material. Most pumps are made out of plastic material, but you will also find some made out of metal. Plastic is going to be lighter and therefore more portable. Metal is going to be more secure in preventing accidental spills or leaks. Metal extractors tend to be more durable and perform better.
Best Oil Extractors Reviews & Recommendations 2020
- When buying an extractor, always consider safety, reservoir size, convenience, and portability. This will ensure that you get the best fit for your vehicle.
- Since it can be hard to know which extractor is the best for your car, check independent reviews by customers as well as the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Before extraction, ensure the oil is warm. This helps with oil thinning and reduces the time and stress on the vacuum.
Q: Why do I need to change the oil in my car?
A: The primary purpose of oil is to lubricate moving parts and reduce friction. However, when the oil gets old, it loses this property and prevents your car from performing optimally. Changing the oil reduces heat on the engine, prevents wear and tear, and enhances performance.
Q: Why should I buy an oil extractor?
A: An oil extractor helps you change your automotive oil on your own, thereby saving you frequent trips to the local garage. It also saves you money.
Q: How often do I need to change the oil on my vehicle?
A: That depends on the oil type, car model, and your driving habits. However, many manufacturers recommend changing your oil every 5,000 miles.
Our pick for the best oil extractor is the EWK Fluid Extractor Pump. It features pneumatic and manual modes and thus can be used anywhere and on a variety of automobiles. However, if you are on a tight budget, the Air Power America fluid removing system is a good choice. It is efficient, portable, and easy to use.