Abomination or Brilliance: Check Out This Modern Dodge Challenger 'Daytona' Recreation
While it may not be a 200-mph machine like the original, it still boasts a 5.7-liter Hemi and an intoxicating exhaust note.
If you've been hoping for a true modern rendition of the original Dodge Charger Daytona, the big-winged NASCAR homologation special built to go over 200 miles per hour, then you’re most likely unhappy with Dodge's revival of the nameplate by way of a four-door muscle sedan. However, GAA Classic Cars in Greensboro, North Carolina might have something for you if you’ve really been lusting for a present-day recreation of the coveted model. Up for auction at one of the company's upcoming events is this unique Dodge Challenger-based Daytona recreation which, depending who you ask, may be a worthy replica or a total flop.
Its bones seem to be worthy, though, as it appears to have started life as a 2013 Dodge Challenger R/T with the Super Track Pack, which bundled sport suspension and a 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 that made 372 horsepower. Then, it’s been given its custom makeover complete with a slant-nose front end, hideaway headlights, and a giant rear wing. But the outfitter didn’t stop there, giving the car a unique white interior with red trim to match the white exterior. To complete the look, it’s been festooned with 20-inch aluminum wheels, wrapped up in 245/45ZR20 Goodyear Summer Performance tires.
This custom Challenge hails in from the car collection of George Shinn, the former owner of the New Orleans Hornets professional basketball team (now the New Orleans Pelicans). Shinn also owned the AAA Chicago White Sox minor league baseball team, the Charlotte Knights.
He is a known car collector who built a massive 10,000-square-foot barn on his property in Nashville, Tennessee, just to house the majority of his personal collection. Shinn’s collection mostly consists of a wide variety of American classics, ranging from original muscle cars to classic hot rods.
GAA Classic Cars didn’t list a starting price for the Challenger Daytona, but it will be heading to its major November auction with no reserve.
- RELATEDElectrified Muscle Cars Are the 'Absolute Future,' Dodge Boss SaysA plug-in hybrid or electric Hellcat won't be arriving anytime soon, but it'd be wrong to think that it'll never happen.READ NOW
- RELATEDCustom 1970 Dodge Charger Daytona Tribute Car Rocks Tire-Shredding Hellcat EngineIt may not be an original Daytona, but it surely is a heck of a lot more powerful—and therefore a lot more fun to drive.READ NOW
- RELATEDDodge Challenger Hellcat Caught Doing 130MPH on Shoulder Before Barrel-RollingDid we mention he was trying to outrun the police?READ NOW
- RELATEDNever-Plated 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 With Just 9 Miles on the Odo Listed for SaleWhat kind of masochist keeps a limited-edition car like this in storage without doing burnouts, burnouts, and more burnouts?READ NOW
- RELATEDHow Much Is This Busted Dodge Daytona Really Worth?Does algae demand a $50k premium? The Drive’s classic car expert weighs in on this year’s hottest barn find.READ NOW