Watch the 2019 BMW Z4 Lap the Nürburgring Faster Than the M2
This isn't even the fastest version of the Z4, either. It makes us wonder what its slicker, stiffer Supra twin can accomplish.
Testing of the 2019 BMW Z4 at the Nürburgring resulted in a Nordschleife lap time of 7:55.41, or approximately six seconds faster than the BMW M2.
German publication Sport Auto pitted its test driver Christian Gebhardt in the Z4 against the 'Ring to achieve the time, which it recorded in the video published by YouTube channel Sport Auto below. Gebhardt's lap time in the Z4 is reportedly about six seconds faster than that which he achieved in the 365-horsepower M2.
Of note is that Gebhardt set this time in an EU emissions-compliant model, which is around 40 hp down on non-EU models, which will make 382 hp. Thus, this Z4 made no more than 342 hp, handicapping it by more than 20 compared to the M2, meaning all six seconds were made up around the corners. The Z4's performance may possibly be excused by more modern tires, potentially Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, the successor to the Pilot Super Sport tires that may have been used on the M2. Given modern tires, the upcoming 410-hp M2 Competition could surely backhand the Z4—emissions compliant or not—into next week.
At the same time, one must wonder what the Z4's sister model, the Toyota Supra, could manage on the Nürburgring. With its fixed roof, it likely boasts decreased drag in comparison to the Z4, not to mention greater torsional stiffness. Combined, these should allow for marginally better performance both in corners and on straights. BMW isn't planning a Z4 M to lord over the Z4 M40i, so whatever ends up being the fastest Supra variant will likely be the best the G29/A90 chassis has to offer.
Both cars will reportedly enter production together by the end of this year, so we shouldn't have to wait too long to see the Supra follow in the Z4's footsteps around the 'Ring.
- RELATED2019 BMW Z4: Pebble Beach Arrival Matches Handsome Design and Potent PowerplantHow does 340 horsepower from a turbocharged straight-six sound? Pretty great considering its lightweight and drop-top environment.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW Drops Z4 Prototype Shots, Discusses M40i VariantBMW clarifies how the Z4 and its M Performance variant will differ.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 BMW Z4 Enters Production in Q4, Toyota Supra Reportedly With ItWe know when the 2019 BMW Z4 will start production, and when it will be in showrooms, but what of its Toyota Supra platform-mate?READ NOW
- RELATEDChief Engineer Tetsuya Tada Opens up About New Toyota SupraThe man behind the Toyota GT86 discusses his newest pride and joy, the fifth-generation Supra.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe BMW M2 Competition Will Puff Out 410 HorsepowerBMW has announced a full roster of performance specifications for the M2 Competition, most of them better than previously thought.READ NOW