Manthey-Porsche 911 GT3 R Wins Opening VLN Round
Trio of Frenchmen coordinated to dominate the four-hour race at the Nürburgring.
In case you don't already know, there is a hotly contested sports car series that runs throughout the year, only at the Nürburgring, called VLN. The series has always had a lot of attention from major international teams, but in recent years the manufacturers have started backing them with more and more money, equipment, and top-tier drivers. Manthey, now completely owned by Porsche, has been involved in the series practically since it began. With Porsche factory drivers on board, they're looking great for the 2017 season.
This weekend was the first round of the VLN series, and Porsche came out of the gates swinging. Romain Dumas, Fred Makowiecki, and Patrick Pilet took Saturday's 4-hour victory. Perhaps an inauspicious accomplishment, it was the first time that the series saw a trio of French drivers take the overall win. It was a bright and sunny day in the forests surrounding the track, attracting German and international fans alike en masse.
Porsche's other car, the Falken Tire entrant of Joerg Bergmeister, Martin Ragginger, and Laurens Vanthoor was taken out prematurely from the lead when Laurens was forced onto the grass while overtaking a slower classed car. He'd only had about a two second lead on Patrick Pilet at the time of the incident, and was trying to make some room for himself on track. This took out Porsche's 1-2 placement, but elevated the Manthey car into the lead. "I'm not sure if I would have managed to overtake Laurens on the track,"
Following that incident,
This win just adds to Porsche's already successful race tally for the new generation GT3 R. It's likely they'll win a few more of these before the year is over.
Thanks to DriveTribe, you can watch the full VLN race, with English commentary provided by the
- RELATEDWatch a BMW M235i Race Car Driver Go Crazy After Nurburgring CrashThis VLN driver was having none of it.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the 1,360-HP Nio EP9 Set a Nurburgring Record for Electric CarsA 7:05 lap makes this battery-powered car quicker around the 'Ring than some serious heavy metal.READ NOW
- RELATEDKoenigsegg Claims One:1 Hypercar is Capable of a 6:40 Nurburgring Lap Time"If we really push and hang our balls out, this is a 6:40 car." -Christian Von KoenigseggREAD NOW
- RELATEDDid Lamborghini Fake Their Porsche-Beating Nurburgring Lap Time Video?This video seems to prove the conspiracy theory, but does it really matter?READ NOW
- RELATEDNonstop Porsche 911 GT3 Action At The NurburgringTwelve minutes of GT3 flybys is twelve minutes in heaven.READ NOW