Ferrari F40: A Photo Retrospective
The supercar built to celebrate Ferrari's 40th anniversary is now 30 years old.
Thirty years ago today, Ferrari unleashed the F40 on the world. It was and still is, a divisive car. To some, it's one of the greatest cars that will ever be built. To others, it's just another weird looking Ferrari.
Love it or hate it, there is no denying its place in automotive history. It was the last car that Enzo Ferrari had a hand in designing. It was the fastest and most expensive Ferrari to date. While parts of it, like the body materials and aerodynamics, were pushing the technical boundaries of the day, the car itself was very primal. It was more akin to a 200 mph go-kart than to other supercars of the day.
Originally slated to be limited to a run of just 400 examples, Ferrari produced 1,311 F40s between 1987 and 1992. If you've never had the chance to spend some time with one up close, you should if you get the opportunity. They are simply stunning in person. Aerodynamics and manufacturing technologies have come a long way in the last 30 years, but the F40 can still hang with the best of them.
To celebrate the F40's 30th birthday, Ferrari has dug into its archives and released some of their favorite F40 pictures. As with the F40, there are no frills here. Shot on film, presented in all of their pre-digital grainy goodness, bask in the glory of the F40.
- RELATEDPink Floyd Member's Ferrari F40 Will Go up for Auction at GoodwoodA hero car from one of the best bands of the era.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Ferrari F40 Rallying Up a Ski Slope in Glorious FashionIt's good to be rich, crazy, and have friends at Red Bull's video team.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Tax The Rich Crash a Ferrari F40 GTWhen you’ve got bank, apparently it doesn’t matter.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Lego Ferrari F40 Video Will Bring Back Your Childhood in 60 SecondsHagerty assembles a Lego supercar so you don’t have to.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Novitec N-Largo Is a Widebody Ferrari 488 With Shades of the F40Bringing some insanity back to the Prancing Horse.READ NOW