Watch This Perfectly Good Pre-Production Ford Focus RS Get Mercilessly Crushed
Won't somebody think of the children?
If you're of a certain age, chances are at some point a parent exhorted you to finish your dinner by reminding you that there are starving children in some corner of the developing world who would eat that. So Ford, safety and compliance issues aside, there are plenty of hoonage-deprived people out there who would kill for this new Ford Focus RS that was recently caught on camera being crushed in England.
Anyone who's ever wandered through the maze of factory fresh floor models at a major auto show has probably wondered just what happens to all those cars when the circus leaves town. If the vehicle was plucked from an already-running production line, it usually goes right back into the dealership ecosystem, no matter how many people have glommed all over it. But if it's a pre-production model with a few quality issues that hasn't been certified, it's either saved for posterity, dismantled, or sent to the crusher—even if we're talking about tiny changes from the previous model year.
The video shows the Nitrous Blue Focus RS get picked up and thoroughly manhandled by a giant metal claw, which eventually places the crumpled hatch in a nearby dumpster. As Road & Track points out, you can tell it's a pre-production auto show model because the next car in the crushing line, a Ford Focus ST Wagon (remember, Britain), still sports the decorative license plate and hood graphics that would identify it to consumers out on the display floor.
- RELATEDFord Shows off 'Drift Stick' Electronic Handbrake for Focus RSFocus RS drivers are getting the 'Ken Block' treatment for their hot hatches.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Focus RS Vs. Subaru WRX STI: A (Slightly Biased) One-Man Comparison TestThe 'Furious Blue' hot hatch is a wildly capable car for its price...but that doesn't mean it's great to live with.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Focus RS Put to Work as Chase Vehicle for the Tour de FranceThat is a lot of power for trailing a few bicyclists.READ NOW
- RELATED2018 Ford Focus RS Will Reportedly Cost $5,000 More Than Last Year's ModelBut the 13 percent price hike comes with many features to offset the cost.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Puts the Limited-Slip in Focus RS Limited EditionThe driftiest little hatch gains a limited-slip differential up front.READ NOW