The 2018 Ford GT Looks Wicked When Reimagined as a DTM Racer
Is it tasteful? No. But that's okay.
While the 2018 Ford GT is certainly a spectacle in its own right, many believe that there's something missing to make it a true great. Whether they say it needs a V-8 engine instead of the standard 3.5-liter twin-turbo V-6, or more power, or whatever else, it just doesn't do it for some people. Even though we don't expect this crazy rendering to solve the problem for anyone, it can at least help them see what the GT would look like if it was entered into modern day Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters competition.
DTM cars from Audi, BMW, and formerly Mercedes have transitioned into a wild smorgasbord of aerodynamics. Massive wings, canards, and skirts make them look more like a cutting-edge utensil rather than a traditional racer, and for some, that's just perfect. Since the series is pretty much exclusively reserved for German cars, the Ford GT is a bit of an oddball in this case, but hey—just look at it.
The rendering was performed by RC Workchop, a graphic design firm that's been working on motorsport renders since 2007. In the company's most recent drawing, it stretched and lowered the Ford GT even more to fit the bill for DTM duty. Meaty tires, enormous overhangs, and a skyscraper wing make up the look just fine, and when shown side by side with a "run-of-the-mill" production car example, the differences are obvious.
It's not everyone's cup of tea, that's for sure. But in an age where Liberty Walk rules everything from a Nissan 350Z to the McLaren 675LT, there's no doubt that this thing will catch some attention.
- RELATEDFord Sues Wrestler John Cena For Flipping His Ford GTFord says Cena signed an agreement promising to keep the car for two years.READ NOW
- RELATED2006 Ford GT With 10.8 Miles on the Clock Going to AuctionIt still has the plastic wrap on the seats.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Chris Harris Drift the Ford GTHow does Ford's flying-buttressed beauty fare sideways on a tight, Scottish circuit?READ NOW
- RELATED2018 Ford GT '67 Heritage Edition Is a Beautiful ThrowbackThe 2018 Ford GT looks stunning in Race Red with white graphics.READ NOW
- RELATEDJay Leno's 2017 Ford GT Was Optioned to More Than $500,000That's a whole lotta dough.READ NOW