Nissan Has Yet Another Crossover Concept in the Works
The Vmotion 3.0 will give us a closer look at Nissan's idea of the future.
The Nissan Vmotion 3.0 is the next Nissan concept of the fully electric crossover of the future. This will be a sequel to the Vmotion 2.0 we saw in Detroit just a few months ago. It will be unveiled later this year to showcase three hot technologies that the industry is expecting the future to hold; electrification, autonomy, and connectivity. It’s all part of the Nissan Intelligent Mobility program. Let’s unpack those buzzwords one at a time.
Electrification is pretty self-explanatory. For the Vmotion 3.0 we don’t know any specifics yet about the drivetrain, but Nissan did talk a bit about what that means for body styling. They’re going to experiment with concepts like new shapes, narrow tires, and flat floors.
In regards to autonomy, Nissan has their Intelligent Driving technology which is available in the Serena van in Japan only. This experimental self-driving tech can keep you in your lane, adapt to curves in the road, and even fully brake in emergencies. We’re likely to see a further expansion of this along with some version of Nissan’s Seamless Autonomous Mobility (SAM) in the Vmotion 3.0.
Finally, there’s connectivity, the vaguest of the three pillars of Nissan Intelligent Mobility. This means more than just Bluetooth and navigation. It involves the aforementioned SAM technology which allows the car to send data to a human “mobility manager” who can tell the car what to do in a difficult situation like a construction site. That information is then shared to other SAM equipped Nissans that can benefit from that data.
These are all areas where Nissan already has their foot in the door in one way or another. We know the next generation Leaf EV due out later this year will have ProPilot autonomous goodies including SAM. The next step for Nissan is taking more daring steps in how they package their electric vehicles, particularly in the form of the ever-popular crossover.
- RELATEDWatch Margot Robbie Drift the Nissan BladeGlider Concept Car around MonacoThe Australian actress makes her first appearance as Nissan's electric car ambassador.READ NOW
- RELATEDNissan Is Using NASA Tech to Give Self-Driving Cars Human GuidanceWhen a car gets confused, a person can step in remotely to show it what to do.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew Nissan Leaf Will Feature ProPilot Autonomous EquipmentNissan's dabbling in autonomy will soon makes its debut.READ NOW
- RELATEDNissan Chief Bullish on Economy, Electric Vehicles and Donald TrumpCarlos Ghosn paints a rosy picture of a post-Obama world.READ NOW
- RELATEDNissan, Mobileye Team Up on Maps for Self-Driving CarsWe’re a step closer to a global map for autonomous cars.READ NOW