Jay Leno and Patrick Dempsey Sample Porsche’s RS Flavors
The Rennsport name has been an important part of Porsche's history, so how does an original Carrera RS 2.7 compare to a new GT3 RS? Check out this promo for an upcoming episode of Jay Leno's Garage on CNBC in which Leno and Patrick Dempsey drive them back to back!
The Rennsport name has been an important part of Porsche's history, so how does an original Carrera RS 2.7 compare to a new GT3 RS? Check out this promo for an upcoming episode of Jay Leno's Garage on CNBC in which Leno and Patrick Dempsey drive them back to back! It's no surprise that Patrick Dempsey is a huge Porsche nut, as he's got a few of them himself, and his racing team runs a Porsche 911 RSR in the FIA WEC GTE Pro category. Jay Leno is less of a Porsche fanatic, but he definitely appreciates what they can do. When you're given the chance to get behind the wheel of a 1973 911 Carrera RS 2.7 and a brand new GT3 RS on a race track, you don't turn that down.
Obviously the original 911 RS is far-and-away slower than the brand new 911 GT3 RS, but it is also the more dynamically satisfying car to drive. There's just something about driving an old car like that with a high-revving engine, relatively skinny tires, and an old-school, clunky, traditional three-pedal manual transmission. This must have been an experience, to drive the two polar opposites of the spectrum back-to-back at the track, as that's where Porsche's Rennsport models really belong.
- RELATEDThis Lego Porsche 911 GT3 RS Build Timelapse Is Insanely EntertainingGreat things come about when videography and Legomania combine.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Porsche 911 GT3 RS Annihilate a Cadillac CTS-V in a RaceTime for a good ol’ fashioned fancy car race.READ NOW
- RELATEDRide Along With This Sharkwerks Tuned GT3 RS!Sharkwerks has been turning out some pretty amazing cars basically since Porsche's watercooled era began. They're based in Northern California, and they've got a lot of really great cars under their belt. This 991 GT3 RS video just proves how great their cars sound!READ NOW
- RELATEDI Nearly Died Racing My Vintage Porsche 911 at La Carrera PanamericanaA harrowing tale of flying off a 300-foot cliff, rolling four times, demolishing a tree and part of a house—and walking away.READ NOW
- RELATEDExclusive: Patrick Dempsey’s Interview for "The Racing Life of Paul Newman"The modern actor-slash-driver archetype sounds off on the original.READ NOW