Mazda Teases Two Concepts Ahead of Tokyo Motor Show
Mazda is bringing previews of what appears to be the next Mazda3 and the brand's overall design future to Tokyo later this month.
Looks like "Zoom-Zoom" fans have much to be excited about as Mazda has announced and teased two new concept cars on its way to the Tokyo Motor Show later this month.
The first one, christened as the Next-Generation Design Vision and seen above, looks to be a sleek, four-door affair made for the sole purpose of showing off the brand's overall design future. Sort of like how the Shinari Concept from 2010 first introduced us to the brand's current, much-loved Kodo design language.
Speaking of Kodo, don't expect the new Mazda style to change things up too drastically, as the Japanese automaker says that the new concept will display "a more profound expression" of Kodo rather than replacing it with something completely different. If it ain't broke...
The second concept to debut in Tokyo, the Next-Generation Product Concept, appears to be a precursor for the next Mazda3, looking like a sleeker, tauter interpretation of the current Mazda hatchback. That car is set to be launched with the company's revolutionary Skyactiv-X engine, the world's first commercially available, compression ignition gasoline engine.
"Our stand this year marks the beginning of a new era for Mazda. We will showcase a concept model with the design and technologies that will define a whole new generation of Mazda cars," said Mazda CEO Masamichi Kogai. Considering just how consistently competent and fun modern-day Mazdas have been, color us excited.
The Tokyo Motor Show will run from Oct. 28 to Nov. 5.
- RELATEDMazda and Toyota Are Doubling Down on Their Electric Car PartnershipA new agreement brings automotive supplier Denso into the mix.READ NOW
- RELATEDNext Mazda3 to Use 'Revolutionary' New Engine Tech, Report SaysA concept previewing the next-generation Mazda3 is expected to bow in October.READ NOW
- RELATEDMazda Confirms Rotary Sports Car Engine In DevelopmentIt's time for another round of Mazda RX-series rumors, folks.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Explores the Epic Landslides of Big SurMother Nature has turned the world-famous road into California's Big Sur into a 26-mile dead end—and created a sports-car paradise.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2017 Mazda3 5-Door Grand Touring Review: The Compact Car, Perfectly ExecutedMazda's hatchback does everything a car needs to do and almost everything you want it to—and it does it all with style.READ NOW