Man Steals Car, Asks Police for Directions to Nearby Town
Courage and stupidity are sometimes the same thing.
A California man stopped early on Wednesday morning to ask a police officer for directions to Sonora, a fifteen minute drive from where he was in Tuolumne County. After sending the driver on his way, the officer ran the tags on the white Honda Accord and, much to his surprise, found out that the car had been stolen from a nearby town.
Prior to turning his lights on, officer Vince Lee called for backup and continued to pursue 28 year old Ryan Ashlock through traffic, following him in a high-speed chase that would eventually immobilize his police interceptor, according to the Tuolumne County Sheriff's Facebook page. Ashlock continued to flee from multiple officers, eventually leading the chase through Sonora.
After wrecking into Officer Lee's car, the thief ultimately crashed and continued the pursuit on foot -- only briefly, though, as he was "quickly captured" by the local PD. Ashlock was then brought into custody under counts of "vehicle evasion, possession of a stolen car, and assault with a deadly weapon against a law enforcement officer" all of which are enough to keep him locked up for enough time to get acquainted with the staff.
You probably don't need to hear the rest of the story given the dummy's eventual fate; one that will involve hazing, shame, and finally, internet fame.
Ashlock has since been put into The Drive's drawing for "Dumbest Criminal of the Year Award", a contest that has way more entrants than we ever hoped for.
- RELATEDAnd The Dumbest Criminal In The Automotive World Trophy Goes To…How Not To Steal A Car, In One Easy Step.READ NOW
- RELATEDWoman Arrested for Allegedly Street Racing With Baby in CarThe 13-month old was reportedly unrestrained in the back seat.READ NOW
- RELATEDFormer Israeli Soldier Stabbed to Death in Argument Over New York City Parking SpotThe suspect was caught at the airport attempting to flee the country.READ NOW
- RELATEDMaine State Troopers Catch Machete-Armed Man in Clown Mask Walking Down RoadNot exactly what you want to come across during your average stroll.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Driver Wreck While Towing a Van PoorlyThis expensive mistake could have been avoided so many different ways.READ NOW