Uber to Add Limited Messaging to Its App
Passengers will be able to message drivers, while drivers may only acknowledge messages for safety.
In busy areas, it can be difficult for Uber drivers to know exactly where to pick up their passengers based solely on an address. It can also be confusing to get a random text or phone call from a number you don't know that's actually your driver trying to find you. Uber has announced that it will soon be adding messaging functions within the Uber app itself to help with this.
When a ride is arranged, passengers will have an option to "chat" with their driver in the app. They may then type whatever they want to say and the message will be delivered to the driver. In addition to appearing on the screen, the message will be read aloud to the driver so they don't have to take their eyes off the road. Drivers will be able to acknowledge these messages with a Facebook-like thumbs-up, but will not be able to type back to passengers, again for safety while on the road. This will assure passengers that their message was received, which text messages don't always do.
This function should help save both drivers and passengers valuable time. Passengers can tell drivers exactly where to pick them up at a large apartment complex or shopping center. They can also warn drivers of local road closures or traffic conditions that they may not be aware of. Drivers won't waste time stuck in traffic or driving around trying to find their pickup. Passengers will get picked up more quickly, and be assured that their messages to drivers actually get through.
- RELATEDUber Could Soon Be Worth More Than $100 Billion, Investment Firm SaysDespite its many scandals, Uber is still uber-valuable.READ NOW
- RELATEDNo, Travis Kalanick Won't Return As Uber CEO, Co-Founder SaysUber board member and co-creator Garrett Camp told employees as much in an email on Monday.READ NOW
- RELATEDUber, Lyft Lose Ground In Seattle Driver Union FightA federal judge dismissed a challenge to drivers' unionization efforts.READ NOW
- RELATEDUber Phasing Out Xchange Car Leasing Program After Major Unexpected LossesThe losses per vehicle were 18 times what Uber had planned for.READ NOW
- RELATEDLevandowski Made Legal Defense a Condition of His Deal with Uber, Exec SaysLevandowski asked Uber to defend him from Google lawsuits before the ride-sharing company acquired his startup.READ NOW