Best Seat Covers: Protect and Revive Your Car Seats
Protect your car’s original upholstery or just give it a fresh new vibe with these top-quality seat covers.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Lisa Conant / LAST UPDATED ON April 12, 2021
If you have an older model car whose seats are beginning to show some wear and tear, or if you have a brand new ride and you want to keep your original upholstery pristine and new-looking, seat covers are a perfect option for you. They’re an affordable and durable way to revive the look of your car’s interior and protect your seats from becoming even more damaged.
There are a plethora of options available when it comes to choosing car seats. To help you separate the wheat from the chaff, we’ve come up with an in-depth product review and an informative buying guide that teaches you exactly what to look for to ensure you’re getting a rugged and reliable product that will suit your needs perfectly.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Seat Covers
- Ward off UV rays. The sun tends to age fabric. When your car seats are exposed to UV rays for a long time, they age earlier than they should. Car seat covers increase your seats’ life expectancy by protecting them from sunlight.
- Affordable revitalization. If you’ve got an older car that’s already showing signs of damage, like worn spots or tears in the fabric, a car seat cover is an economical and quick way to make your seats look like new again and prevent them from further deterioration.
- Maintain your car’s value. When your car seats are in a good condition, your car looks good and retains its resale value. Seat covers protect the original seats from wear and tear.
- Combat stains. Spills and other substances can leave nasty stains on your seats. Water-resistant seat covers form a protective barrier, making seats resist stains from various liquids.
- Lower cleaning costs. Washing a car’s interior can be more expensive than washing the exterior. If you have machine-washable car seat covers, you won’t have to wash the interior as regularly. Simply throw the covers into your laundry at home.
Types of Seat Covers
Leather Seat Covers
These are top-of-the-range car seat covers that perfectly blend style and comfort. Their biggest selling point is that they are highly resistant to spills. Leather is durable, stylish, and easy to clean. High-quality leather seat covers have a soft and supple feel and can increase a car’s value.
Fabric Seat Covers
Fabric or cloth seat covers are well-known for their versatility and durability. They are more affordable than leather seat covers and are a good fit for car owners with tighter budgets. Breathable car seat covers can be made from velour, polyester, jacquard, and other materials. They’re also a good option for cars with heated seats, as thicker leather car seat covers take longer to let the heat through than fabric covers.
Custom Seat Covers
Custom seat covers are user-inspired—you choose all the specifications you desire. You can choose from different colors and sizes and even find covers with additional features such as safety straps. They’re ideal for expressive individuals who want to personalize their rides. However, the better the features, the higher the price.
The FH Group, based in Secaucus, N.J., is a renowned automotive accessory maker that focuses on car interiors. Its range of products includes custom and universal fit car accessories, such as steering wheel covers and car seat covers. One of its highest-rated products is the Semi-Customized Bucket Seat Cover.
This U.S.-based company has been in operation for more than 25 years. It uses industry-leading technology to manufacture custom car seat covers. All of its products are designed, manufactured, tested, and shipped from America. If you own a Chevrolet or GMC vehicle, check out the Front Row Bucket Seat Cover for Select Chevrolet/GMC Models.
CoverKing is an American brand that has made a name for itself in the automotive accessories industry. The company has a task force that handles the research and development of premium products designed to keep car exteriors and interiors damage-free. One of its top-rated seat covers, the Coverking Custom Fit Seat Cover, comes highly recommended.
Seat Cover Pricing
- $10 to $50: Most universal fit fabric car seat covers will be found in this price range. Sold in sets of two, to cover the front seats, they’re the most affordable, but often the least durable option when it comes to car seat covers.
- $50 to $200: Semi-custom car seat covers, full sets for front and back seats, and most leather car seat covers fall in this price range. The products in this price range are more durable, usually come in more color options, and might even have a manufacturer’s warranty to back them.
- $200 and up: Custom-made seat covers are made according to user specifications. If you’d like to choose every aspect of your seat cover, you will pay a premium price. The cost is usually justified by the material, color, and features such as extra padding and stitching variations.
The first thing you need to consider when buying a seat cover is the material. Materials such as leather and neoprene offer protection against liquid spills and can be easily cleaned. The material also determines how durable a cover is.
A well-fitting car seat cover envelops the entire seat. When determining the fit, also look for features such as non-slip and tensile strength. Choose something with solidly built, adjustable straps that won’t overstretch with time. These go a long way toward making sure you stay firmly in place when driving. In addition, avoid generic, one-size-fits-all car seat covers. Choose one that’s designed for your car model or a similar model.
You shouldn’t have to keep changing the car seat covers every year. Get one with the highest durability rating, and it will serve you for a long time. You can get a waterproof seat cover that is easy to clean and resistant to dust. Durable covers also help maintain the quality of your car seats.
- Ease of Installation. Choose car seat covers that can be easily removed and installed. An easy-to-install car seat cover has features such as belts and straps to hold it in place.
- Car Model. While this is not the first thing that comes to mind when you’re shopping for a car seat cover, your car should determine the seat covers you get. If you have customized seats, consider getting semi-custom or custom-made car seat covers. If you don’t have a big budget, get universal fit seat covers.
- Finish. The best seat covers on the market are perfectly finished. Look at the seams, stitching, zips, and the design. A contoured seat cover looks great on a car seat. If it is well-built, it will last longer.
Best Seat Covers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Once you buy a car seat cover, put it in a well-ventilated place to air it out. This reduces the creasing that might be caused by packaging. It also helps get rid of any odor.
- Some car seat covers are only designed to fit certain car models. Before you get them, check whether they are compatible with your car seats to avoid inconveniences later on.
- After you’ve used your car seat covers for a few months, wash them and air them out outdoors. This will help them to stay clean and fresh.
- Most car seat covers are foldable. To make sure yours offer many years of service, fold them and store them in a dry location when they are not in use.
- It is very important to check whether the car seat covers you intend to buy will interfere with the deployment of airbags if there’s an accident.
Q: How do I know whether a seat cover is compatible with my car seat?
Most car seat cover manufacturers will provide an online tool in which you can plug in your car’s year, make, and model in order to get the recommended ideal fit. Amazon also offers a perfect fit tool to allow you to check compatibility prior to purchase. If these tools aren’t available, go with the old stand by: taking measurements of your car’s seats and comparing them with the measurements set forth by the manufacturer.
Q: Can I have multiple car seat covers for one car?
Yes, you can get a range of seat covers and change them regularly. If you don’t like the look of one, simply swap it out for another.
Q: Which is the best material for a car seat cover?
In our humble opinion, the best material for a car seat cover is a durable and strong leather, either real or synthetic. It’s easy to clean, rugged, and can withstand some serious wear and tear. However leather seat covers aren’t the most budget-friendly option, and you may lean towards another material that you like better. If you have pets, you may want to choose a material that is fur-proof and puncture-resistant. If you have kids, water-resistant and stain-resistant car seat covers should be in your top picks.
Car seat covers can be an affordable and quick game changer when it comes to refreshing and reviving the look of your car’s interior. As such, our top pick is the Sojoy Universal Car Seat Cushion Cover. It’s affordable, rugged, and fits well with most makes and models.