Will Used Chevrolet Caprice Cop Cars Jump in Price After Production Ends?
The legendary Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor seemed to bump up in price in 2011 but is the Caprice loved enough to follow the same track?
Alright ladies and gentleman, it is that time again. Another model of cop car goes into permanent retirement. Just like the Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (P71) did in 2011, the Chevrolet Caprice PPV is doing so at the end of the 2017 model year.
Manufactured in Australia alongside the beloved Chevy SS, the Caprice is now destined to die. Certain police departments may have liked the car for its speed and rear-wheel drive V-8 power, but Chevy has opted to discontinue the vehicle, and subsequently the last remaining RWD V-8 sedan (next to the SS) for the brand.
So why are we talking about this? We mention it because of the possibility that used Chevy Caprice sales may see an increase in selling price just like the Crown Victoria did after 2011. Heck, a used 2011 Crown Victoria with 81,000 hard police miles can go for nearly $15,000. Now a 2011 Chevy Caprice with 84,000 police miles is currently going for only $12,995. That is nearly two grand cheaper than the Crown Victoria and yet the Caprice has 105 more horsepower, improved stability control, and plenty of other advanced goodies not found in the aging Crown Vic. So we ask the question, do you expect pricing on the Chevy Caprice to change in the next year or do you think the legendary status of the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor will ensure the Caprice is permanently priced below the less powerful Ford?
That being said, you can easily find a relatively low mileage (140,000) Crown Victoria Police Interceptor for around $5,000 if you look more than ten minutes, just be cautious of those deceptive Armor All-covered tires.
- RELATEDChevrolet SS, Caprice Cop Car Will Officially Go Extinct This YearAnd the U.S.A will be that much poorer for it.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Chevrolet Caprice Cost Six Figures After ICON Was Done With ItWhen this custom shop builds out an ex-cop car, it doesn't mess around.READ NOW
- RELATEDKevin Bacon’s Favorite Cop Car Is the Crown VicThe Hollywood vet dishes on Austin-Healeys, stolen police cruisers and the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to him in a car.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord’s New Interceptor Utility Police Car Is StealthyLooking for external light bars is no longer an option.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Kickass Machines of the NYPDThe country's largest police department has 9,000 vehicles—including some really awesome toys.READ NOW