Jeremy Clarkson Is Selling His Volkswagen GTI
'One owner, senior-citizen driven, no test pilots.'
According to Clarkson, it has 23,200 miles on the odometer and is fully loaded with the Performance Package—a package that included bigger brakes borrowed from the Golf R, a limited-slip differential, and 220 horsepower instead of the base 210.
He's asking for the equivalent of a little over $28,000 (£21,500) which seems a bit high considering this very similarly-specced, 23,341-mile example can be had for around $26,000 (£19,990 or as Clarkson's countrymen would say, "a tenner under twenty grand"). Then again, that one probably was never owned by the lead presenter of the most popular car show—pause—in the world. However, one could potentially argue that any car owned by Clarkson should be discounted given his often aggressive on-screen driving style.
Speaking of on-screen driving, this particular GTI appeared in The Grand Tour Season 1's final episode in a "Past v Future" challenge against James May's own BMW i3. Mild spoilers for the episode: Jeremy originally wanted a three-door GTI but amusingly ended up with the five-door car we see here because of a snafu with the options form.
May goes on to say that Clarkson originally intended to get a red one—another plan foiled by pesky paperwork. Clarkson apparently denies this.
In any case, if you live in the U.K. and would like a five-door, gray, German hot hatch used by the one and only Jeremy Clarkson, be sure to hit him up on DriveTribe.
- RELATEDDriveTribe Has Lost $16 Million in Two Years. Has it Also Lost its Way?Missed opportunities, zombie tribes, and an overdose of Clarkson, Hammond, and May—this is DriveTribe today.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Grand Tour Is Getting Its Own Video GameIt'll put players in the same cars and locations featured on the show and be playable on PS4 and Xbox One.READ NOW
- RELATEDTongue-in-Cheek Amazon Job Listing Suggests Jeremy Clarkson Being Temporarily ReplacedThe Grand Tour hosts are dropping like flies.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Volkswagen Golf Will Get 1.4-Liter Jetta Engine, GTI Gets Eight More PoniesHowever, the extra horsepower can only be unlocked via premium fuel.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Volkswagen Golf GTI Is the Ultimate People's Performance CarRegular Car Reviews finds out if Volkswagen's hot hatch deserves its cult-like status.READ NOW