Friends Matt LeBlanc is the New Top Gear Host
Matt LeBlanc. Yes, seriously, the guy from Friends.
The BBC has announced the newest presenter of the rebooted Top Gear. It is not, as speculated, German racing driver Sabine Schmitz. Nor is it viral car review hero Chris Harris. It is, instead, Matt LeBlanc. Yes, that Matt LeBlanc. Like, the guy from Friends.
Well. There’s a curveball.
The surprise announcement comes just three months before the show returns to BBC Two in May. LeBlanc, 48, is the first non-British host of Top Gear in the program’s nearly four-decade-long run. Also: the only one from the cast of Friends.
In fairness, LeBlanc does have some credentials. He’s responsible for the fastest-ever Star in a Reasonably Priced Car lap—a 1 minute, 42 second rip—back in 2012. Last year, he presented Top Gear: The Races, a standalone spin-off for the BBC’s digital download service. So he’s a better choice than Matthew Perry. We guess. Welcome to the Post-Clarkson Era. Hopefully they’re not leaning on him to be “The Funny One.”
Matt freakin’ LeBlanc, guys. Jeez.
- RELATED5 Top Gear Hosts We’d Like to SeeMatt LeBlanc is an interesting pick, but what about Nick Offerman and Joe Biden?READ NOW
- RELATEDEx-Top Gear Hosts Resurface With Fast ThingsA P1, a 918 and a LaFerrari for the former BBC employees.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Drive 100: The Greatest Train Wrecks of 2015If you didn’t know, now you know.READ NOW
- RELATEDSorry, Friends, But the Tesla Model X Isn’t ProgressA six-figure SUV won’t bring green motoring to the masses.READ NOW
- RELATEDOn the Swift Demise of a Boutique SupercarAmbitious and flawed, the Caparo leaves behind a very mixed legacy.READ NOW