This Brabus-STARTECH Bentley Bentayga Is Downright Sexy
The aftermarket group turns out a comely vision that fixes the ute's weird butt.
Yesterday, Bentley showed how in-house customization arm, Mulliner, could turn the new Bentley Bentayga into a walnut-laden fishing hut. Now, the fingers of the aftermarket have grasped Bentley’s newest model, and the result is the STARTECH Bentley Bentayga, by Brabus. Tweaking an already bonkers vehicle isn't shocking. What is surprising is how well the finished product turned out.
The changes weren't drastic. Where the standard Bentayga is wide, the STARTECH version is wider; where the stock Bentayga sports 22-inch wheels, the STARTECH rolls on 23s. While the normal Bentayga has two exhaust pipes, the STARTECH ‘Tayga has four! Simple yet magnificent.
Like many an aftermarket-treated SUV, the customization undertaken by STARTECH, a subsidiary of Brabus, has limited the Bentley Bentayga’s abilities somewhat. While Bentley prides itself on making an SUV with equal capability on and off road, the STARTECH Bentayga trims rock-crawling ability for greater on-road presence and performance. The wheel arches are flared to accommodate the enormous wheels and STARTECH has fitted new front and rear bumpers with wide lips and straked air-intakes.
Around back, a F1-style rear diffuser and warning lamp should keep the 3-ton SUV planted at speed, as well as highly visible, should it wander onto an active F1 course. Inside, STARTECH offers a wide array of custom interiors, though spackling over the divine work that Bentley does at the factory seems akin to upholstering the David in customized crocodile leather—compelling, but blasphemous.
Aside from the fact that the press release refers to the Bentley’s “powerful V-12” several times, we like what Brabus/STARTECH is selling. While a Bentley interior might be sacrosanct, the Bentayga’s odd exterior is ripe for iteration. With the dark-grey wheels, a carbon spoiler and fat arches, the STARTECH Bentayga looks from the rear like a Porsche 911 Turbo Wagon—and that’s a family resemblance everyone can get behind.
- RELATEDBentley's Fly-Fishing Bentayga Is for Rich People Who No Longer ExistEveryone knows today's wealthy are hoovering up Cronuts, not fishing brook-side.READ NOW
- RELATEDBentley CEO Says We “Might Expect” a Bentayga SpeedSuperfast SUV could precede a Bentayga coupe and a production version of the Speed 6 Concept.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe $300,000 Bentley Bentayga Isn’t For YouBut will the fastest, most powerful, most expensive SUV ever find a home?READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Bentley Bentayga Is the Most Expensive SUV. Ever.Our first drive goes off-road, while Bentley’s styling team runs off the rails.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW Makes You Love Safety Cars And A Bentayga Speed May Be In The Works: The Evening RushPlus, cook a sublime steak at home and down a pint from Cycle Brewing Company.READ NOW