Drive Wire for December 5th, 2016: Hamilton Isn’t Punished For F1 Shenanigans
Hamilton gets off easy after Rosberg announces retirement.
Today on Drive Wire we continue to look at the drama among the Mercedes-AMG F1 team.
Although Nico Rosberg was able to place second in Abu Dhabi and subsequently becoming the 2016 F1 World Champion, it was not done with the help of Lewis Hamilton. As we discussed in Drive Wire last week, Hamilton disobeyed direct orders from Paddy Lowe to “pick up the pace.” By slowing down the grid, it appears Hamilton was trying to give Sebastian Vettel the opportunity to pass Nico Rosberg. If his plan was successful, Rosberg would be unable to claim the 2016 F1 World Championship.
Before Rosberg announced that he would be retiring from motorsports, Mercedes-AMG was hinting that they intended to punish the disobedient Hamilton. However, now that they are down to one drive, Mercedes-AMG F1 Team boss Toto Wolff has directed his attention of finding Hamilton a new partner.
Regardless of whether or not disciplinary action is taken, we are sure Wolff gave Hamilton an earful and will continue to do so over the foreseeable future.
- RELATEDDrive Wire for December 5th, 2016: 500th LaFerrari Auctioned Off For $7 MillionAll proceeds will go to Central Italy earthquake victims.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for December 1st, 2016: Ferrari Auctions Off LaFerrari For A Good CauseThe 500th LaFerrari proceeds will aid the Central Italy earthquake victims.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 30th, 2016: Porsche Hopes to Sell 20,000 Mission E Electric Cars a YearThe guys in Stuttgart are shooting high with their upcoming Tesla fighter.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 30th, 2016: Lucid Motors To Build In ArizonaThe company will break ground on the $700 million facility next year, start building cars in 2018.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 29th, 2016: Jeep Plans Six More Wrangler Special EditionsBecause who doesn't love a good special edition?READ NOW