New Jeep Compass Commercial 'Recalculating' Gets Weirder Every Time You Watch
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go reevaluate my entire life.
Car commercials can go a lot of directions, cover a lot of points, and convey a larger message in a short period of time. However, there's ultimately a limit as to how "deep" a commercial can be without confusing the viewer or distracting them from the product. In Jeep's new commercial for the 2017 Compass, the brand's ad men test those boundaries. Not in an edgy or rebellious way, but more in a "Hey man, that's deep..." kind of fashion.
Jeep's new commercial for the Compass called "Recalculating," emphasizes the unpredictability and adventure of life—and how the Jeep Compass will be there for you every step of the way. Sounds great, and we fully support that ethos—but only if Jeep kept that heavy thought as light as possible in the commercial. Instead, this Jeep ad dives deep into unexpected pregnancies, quitting (or possibly being fired from—it's not really clear) jobs, and many other sober, heavy-duty life decision all in the span of a 60-second commercial.
I understand that those unexpected journeys are what makes life beautiful, but it is a little weird having them front and center in a car commercial. At no point dealing with an unexpected pregnancy or failed home investment would I think, "Whelp, at least I have my Jeep." Life is an adventure full of unexpected turns, Jeep is a great brand, and these two ideas can come together—this commercial just seems to be a little too aggressive about it.
The 2017 Jeep Compass is currently on sale and starts at $20,995. The Compass utilizes the 2.4-liter four-cylinder TigerShark engine pumping out 180 horsepower. According to Olivier Francois, chief marketing officer of FCA, the Compass and the "Recalculating" commercial is targeting the millennials. Speaking as a millennial...I don't get it.
- RELATED2017 Jeep Compass Fails Its Own NY Auto Show DemonstrationWhen off-road demos don't go quite as planned.READ NOW
- RELATEDYou Can Have Your Jeep Compass Anyway You Want ItWell, almost.READ NOW
- RELATEDJeep to Sell All-New Compass Alongside Old One at FirstIn a confusing move, both will be labeled 2017 models on dealer lots later this spring.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe All-New 2017 Jeep Compass Has Offroad Specs Worthy of The BadgeThis compact SUV doesn't lack any offroad chops.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk Put Its Supercharged V8 To WorkWe could listen to that 6.2-liter supercharged V8 whine all day.READ NOW