This Is the Most Unfortunate Way to Start a Hillclimb Race
Watch as a hillclimb racer begins his day with a bit more tire spin than expected.
Welcome to Bergrennen Reitnau, an annual Hillclimb event in Switzerland. This mile long track climbs 365 feet before a racer's time is logged, pitting the most experienced racers against one another for the title of most nimble car up the mountain. The majority make it to the finish line, but there are quite a few who fall short each year. Unfortunately for this poor guy, it seems like he made it less than fifty feet before immobilizing his car for the rest of the race.
If you are not familiar with the concept of hillclimb racing (or depending who you ask, just "hillclimbing"), it is one of the oldest forms of motorsports. First taking place in 1897, the first documented race occurred in Nice, France. This particular race, occurring in Switzerland, takes full advantage of the mountainout terrain that the Alps produce in the countryside. The goal of the race is simple - be the fastest driver from the bottom of the hill to the finish line. But, unlike NASCAR where left turns are a driver's most difficult twist of the steering wheel (joke), hillclimbers must face traditional roadways and curving slopes while battle time to reach the top of the course.
Now that you are briefly acquainted with the sport, take a look at the crash below.
But wait, that's not all! Our favorite hillclimb YouTuber has a lot more in store. Here are more crashes over the past four years at Bergrennen Reitnau.
- RELATEDWatch This E46 BMW M3 Fly Up Lebanon's Falougha Hill ClimbGaro Haroutiounian may not be a household name in the U.S.—but he should be.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a 530-HP BMW M2 Rocket up the Gurnigel Hill Climb in SwitzerlandApparently swapping in a S55 straight-six from a BMW M4 makes the M2 a great hillclimb competitor.READ NOW
- RELATEDAcura Dominated the Pikes Peak Hill Climb And a Mid-Engined Corvette Is in the WorksPlus, Western Rise has a pair of heavenly athletic shorts and Ozark Beer Company throws down.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the Bugatti Chiron Rocket Up the Goodwood Festival of Speed Hill ClimbIf that headline isn't enough to convince you to click, we can't help you.READ NOW
- RELATEDLightweight Tesla Model S to Compete in Pikes Peak Hill Climb This YearElectric car will be outfitted with special super-light batteries.READ NOW