Is Gymkhana 10 Filming in Detroit Right Now?
Hoonigan is filming a Ford Mustang in Detroit. Will the Hoonicorn go home for Gymkhana 10?
It's an innocent enough title to an article in Crain's Detroit Business. "Downtown Detroit streets to close as production company films Mustang footage." With the 2018 Ford Mustang coming out (minus duct tape) it makes perfect sense that some promotional filming would be taking place Thursday and Friday.
However, the production company mentioned in the article is none other than Hoonigan, the outfit responsible for Ken Block's "Gymkhana" series of viral videos. Block himself is there, as is a "'tricked out' Mustang," as Crain's quotes line producer Nate Stoebner. Executive producer Diego España said Block would be driving a "super powerful car." This sounds like none other than the Hoonicorn, his 1,400 horsepower Ford Mustang. We caught Block testing the car last month, and this seems to be the event for which he was preparing.
"We're here trying to promote Ford products in the city where it all started," España told Crain's. So this may be a promotional film for Ford that Hoonigan is producing. On the hand, it could be none other than "Gymkhana 10," featuring the new-and-improved Hoonicorn in its hometown of Detroit, where it was born as an ordinary Mustang in 1965.
The series has visited other major cities in the past, including Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dubai, and most recently Pikes Peak. It would not be out of the ordinary for a Gymkhana video to take place in Detroit, particularly considering Block's close relationship with Ford.
This is merely speculation based on the facts as we know them. Hoonigan never used the word "Gymkhana" in its discussions with media, and queries to Ford were directed back to Hoonigan. But when we put these facts together, it seems that we might be looking at the creation of the next Gymkhana video.
- RELATEDWatch Ken Block and the Hoonicorn Attack Pikes Peak in ClimbkhanaKen Block outdoes himself with a unique Gymkhana-style run up Pikes Peak.READ NOW
- RELATEDBehind the Scenes of Ken Block and Hoonigan's ClimbkhanaSeven million views, 14,000 feet, 100 turns, one Ken Block. See how they did it.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Ken Block Slide All Over an Industrial Complex in Gymkhana 9Tire smoke, tire smoke, and uh, more tire smoke.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord, Ken Block, and Hoonigan Racing Leaving FIA World Rallycross ChampionshipAfter two years, Ford, Ken Block, and Hoonigan end their FIA World Rallycross race program.READ NOW
- RELATEDJeff Zwart Rips Donuts In His Porsche 914-6 At The Hoonigan GarageThis is an excellent episode of Hoonigan's Daily Transmissions, and if you aren't watching them regularly, start with this one.READ NOW