Volkswagen Touareg Axed From U.S. Lineup, Report Says
Farewell to the German brute.
The brand's premium utility offering has been dwindling in the sales department over the last few years, and as a result of cutting costs and making room for products like the T-Roc small crossover, it's been decidedly ousted in favor of new projects. The Touareg will not reappear in showrooms for the 2018 model year, leaving the upsized Tiguan to take its place along with the freshly released Atlas SUV.
Starting at a price point of $50,405, the Touareg competed in a segment with luxury brands like sister brand Audi and its Q5 as well as Lexus' RX model. Buyers of this demographic seemingly opted for the premium brands over the humble-but-good VW, which was surely a factor in the company's decision to leave it off the table in the American market.
The model ran for a steady 13 years with several major upgrades along the way, never staying stale for too long. It was greeted with a slew of awards when it was introduced in 2004 thanks to its off-road ability, four-wheel-drive capability, and ample storage room in the cabin.
Touareg sales were down 26 percent in the first half of 2017, signaling a wave of the flag to Volkswagen. The ute's little brother, the Tiguan, sold a solid 20,556 for comparison.
Expect the brand to invest heavily in the Atlas SUV in order to pick up the missing Touareg's slack.
- RELATEDVolkswagen R&D Boss Predicts Major Potential Electric Car Battery ShortageDozens of new factories may be needed to meet battery demand, a top VW manager says.READ NOW
- RELATEDVolkswagen Partners With Kuka on Robots to Help Charge Electric CarsVolkswagen wants to use robots to make recharging easy as pie.READ NOW
- RELATEDVolkswagen Recalls 766,000 Cars Globally for Brake IssueThe recall affects VW, Audi, and Skoda vehicles.READ NOW
- RELATEDVolkswagen Uses Virtual Reality to Streamline Vehicle DevelopmentVW uses VR to help employees at different sites feel like they're in the same room.READ NOW
- RELATED2018 Volkswagen Tiguan Review: 7 Things to KnowVW's small SUV gets an America-centric redo from stem to stern.READ NOW