World's Longest Racetrack Will Soon Be in Vegas, Not Germany
John Morris is building a proper Disneyland for speed freaks.
By now, you might be fairly sick of hearing about the Nürburgring. It seems like anything and everything is being tested there these days, perpetuating a petty automotive pissing contest that does nothing but make cars needlessly harsh for actual road use. If billionaire entrepreneur John Morris has his way, however, the 'Ring's days in the sun might be numbered. In a report by Bloomberg Businessweek, Morris outlines his grand plans for an "adult Disneyland" that includes a 15-mile racetrack as a main attraction—that's 1.9 miles longer than the Nordschleife's 13.1 miles. Located 45 minutes from the Las Vegas Strip, Spring Mountain Motor Resort & Country Club is a rich guy's oasis, with 42 condos, a pool, indoor shooting range, and facilities where one can jet pack around Morris' man-made lake. Future plans include a dirt track, a community of luxury homes, a hotel, restaurants, theaters, a car wash, and a coffee shop. The price for all of this is steep, with memberships requiring $45,000 up front and $5,000 a year in dues.
Other than hosting members track days and driving schools, Spring Mountain has also been rented out by car manufacturers for testing. When Morris finishes the expansion, it's set to topple the Nürburgring as longest test track ever. Its location in the Nevada desert means far less of the grueling elevation changes the Green Hell is famous for, which could make for less aggressively sprung cars if Spring Mountain is truly the next Nürburgring in the testing world.
'Ring-record apathy is real, with every record-breaking announcement (and non-announcment) being met by more "so whats?" than the last. Perhaps, in a few years, Porsche, McLaren, and company will be duking it out over the fastest "Spring times" instead.
- RELATEDPorsche's GT Boss Admits the Nurburgring Ruins Cars"If you have a car with the perfect setup for the Nurburgring, it will be a dog on the street.”READ NOW
- RELATEDFormula One Could Run a Las Vegas Grand Prix as Soon as 2017Plans for a casino-stuffed race in Sin City are well underway.READ NOW
- RELATEDKoenigsegg Claims One:1 Hypercar is Capable of a 6:40 Nurburgring Lap Time"If we really push and hang our balls out, this is a 6:40 car." -Christian Von KoenigseggREAD NOW
- RELATEDDid Lamborghini Fake Their Porsche-Beating Nurburgring Lap Time Video?This video seems to prove the conspiracy theory, but does it really matter?READ NOW
- RELATEDExtended Wheelbase Bentley Mulsanne Spied at NürburgringWorld domination is about to get a lot more legroom.READ NOW