23 Percent of 2016 Chevrolet Corvettes Had a Stick Shift
Score one for the clutch pedals.
If you're happy and you know it, pump the clutch. As it turns out, 23 percent of 2016 Chevy Corvettes packed a manual gearbox. That may not sound all that impressive at first blush, but it's nearly four times the 6 percent take rate for stick shifts across the American new-car marketplace.
And thanks to the National Corvette Museum's release of the final production numbers for the 2016 model year Corvette, we can go all sorts of Moneyball on this data. As it turns out, in the 2016 model year:
—19 percent of Corvette Stingrays sold had manual transmissions. (5,093 of 26,414)
—29 percent of Corvette Z06s sold came with stick shifts. (4156 of 14,275)
—18 percent of convertible Corvettes—Stingray and Z06 alike—came with row-your-own gearboxes. (1514 of 8032)
—32 percent of hardtop Corvettes, whether naturally aspirated or supercharged, left the factory packing a manual. (8008 of 24922)
But the National Corvette Museum's data set isn't just handy for its insights into the transmission choices of 'Vette buyers. It's a treasure trove of information about what's going on inside the noggins of people with the means and interest to buy a brand-new version of America's sports car.
Did you know, for example, that 4,955 Z06 buyers chose the extra-spicy Z07 performance package in the 2016 model year? (That's 53 percent of Z06s, for what it's worth.) You might have heard that Arctic White was the most popular Corvette color—but did you know Admiral Blue was the least, having been chosen by just 0.8 percent of people? Or that 281 buyers chose to go against General Motors's guidelines of good taste and pop for the "Recommended Color Combo Override"?
The data is worthy of a deep dive, so feel free to click here and check it out if you're so inclined. We'll leave you on a happy note: 88 percent of 2016 Corvettes came equipped with the performance exhaust.
- RELATEDBehold, The First Driverless Corvette BurnoutAll smoke, no mirrors. This thing’s for real.READ NOW
- RELATED11-year-old in Lamborghini Huracan Smokes Man in CorvetteThe children are our future and that future is fast.READ NOW
- RELATEDChevrolet Corvette Z06 Vs. Mercedes-AMG GT-R at the NürburgringThe hills are alive with the sound of V-8s.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire: Are We Getting A New Corvette ZR1?READ NOW
- RELATEDCorvette Gets Its 100th Win. Finally.Also its 60th one-two finish.READ NOW