BMW Is Reportedly Mulling Over an X7 M
Big, if true.
According to BMW Blog's "various sources from Munich," BMW is currently considering an M version of its upcoming X7 SUV because of course it is. The company will reportedly make a decision "in the following weeks."
The Drive has reached out to the company for comment and will update this story when we get a response.
Just like when BMW first announced it would build M versions of the X5 and X6 almost a decade ago, the introduction of a full-size X7 M is likely to garner contempt, scoffs, and sneers from purists. However, given the current state of high-performance SUV affairs, we fully expect such a car to sell like hot chocolate in a snow storm.
If an X7 M does come to fruition, it would serve as a direct competitor to the Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 and undoubtedly be, physically at least, the biggest M car ever made. We can see it being popular among those with large families who need to cross continents briskly in addition to Bimmer buyers who just need to have the biggest, fanciest thing in the showroom.
Last time we saw the X7, it was testing its off-road, camouflaged mettle in South Africa and Sweden. When it goes into production, it'll be assembled in Spartanburg, South Carolina alongside the rest of BMW's SUV lineup. Appearance-wise, expect it look a lot like the X7 iPerformance concept pictured at the top of this piece.
UPDATE [08/21/2018]: When The Drive probed a BMW spokesperson for comment, the Bimmer rep dismissed BMW Blog's claims as "pure speculation as we have not even announced any information on the production X7 itself yet" and that details on the production X7 will surface at the Los Angeles Auto Show this November.
- RELATEDDr. Strangecar, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the High-Performance SUVA wave of SUVs as potent and fast as sports cars has broken upon us. Stop fighting the tide—it's time to surf.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW Teases X7 Crossover in CamouflageHere's your first look at BMW's upcoming full-size crossover.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew 2019 BMW Z4 Roadster Leaks Ahead of Official Pebble Beach DebutNow, who's going to leak the new Toyota Supra next?READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2015 BMW X6 M or, How to Stop Worrying and Learn to Love Being a SchmuckThe freakish agility of BMW’s heavyweight hunchback almost makes you forget its baggage. Almost.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW Raises Price of X5 and X6 Overseas, Cites Tariffs as CauseThe luxury automaker will raise costs of its U.S. manufactured SUVs to offset the cost of retaliation tariffs.READ NOW