Check Out This Custom Jeep Wrangler Built To Conquer Africa's Terrain
Follow along as adventurer Dan Grec traverses Africa's harsh terrain.
Go to any trail and you will find purpose built overlander builds ready to conquer the weekend. Those builds are intended to traverse a few sketchy spots, but all around you are not in danger and you hop back on a main road and head home. Dan Grec’s Jeep Wrangler build is designed to keep you alive for 80,000 miles through sketchy African terrain.
Before talking about the Dan’s Jeep, it is worth mentioning why he needs it. Dan is currently in the beginning of a 2 year African expedition. As of writing this article, Dan is currently in Gabon. He has driven 14,216 miles in Africa in 409 days and has visited 14 countries.
Dan purchased a used 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon equipped with a 3.8L V6 and 6 speed manual transmission. Dan previously drove a two door Jeep Wrangler from Alaska to Argentina amassing 40,000 miles in 22 months. According to the expedition expert, choosing the right Jeep was probably the easiest part of the build, next came the hard part.
arguably to most attention-grabbing part of the build is the custom roof. Dan equipped his Jeep with an Ursa Minor Vehicles J30 popup camper which features a customized open rear area to provide more room. According to Dan, inside living space was the highest priority. In order to maintain a relatively green adventure, Additionally, Dan installed two large solar panels to charge his second battery in the car.
In terms of off road performance, the Jeep’s suspension was upgraded with an American Expedition Vehicle 2.5 lift kit, bumpers, skid plate, tire carrier and high life mount. Most importantly, tires and wheels had to be upgraded. Dan wrapped BFGoodrich KOS All-Terrain tires (34x10.5R17) around some Mopar Steel Winter Wheels. Performance on Dan’s build is rounded out with the enthusiast necessary Snorkel, from AEV.
Being solo in Africa he has to trust only himself in sticky situations which is why a bunch of recovery gear is key. Dan has the overland enthusiast choice Maxtrax mats, as well as a hefty supply of strong ropes to get out of stuck situations and of course the necessary Hi-Lift Jack. Dan’s lighting was also important all of the lighting on his rig is by way of Rigid Industries.
From the outside, Dan’s Jeep looks like it can stand up against any adventure, but the inside is where this build is set above the rest. Dan’s Jeep is a mini hotel room. It has a fridge, kitchen area, awning, shower, and even has a fan for sleeping.
- RELATEDThe Jeep Pickup Totally Killed the AEV BruteOnce upon a time, people paid AEV over $100k because they wanted a Jeep pickup...READ NOW
- RELATEDJeep Dealer Meeting Reveals A Lot About 2018 WranglerFrom Power Sliding Hard Tops to electronic start-stop, this meeting tells all.READ NOW
- RELATEDGenius YouTuber Adds Pressurized Water Tank To His Jeep WranglerThis seems like a welcomed addition to any offroader's rig.READ NOW
- RELATEDFlorida Sheriff Organizes Jeep Wrangler Volunteer Squad for Search-and-Rescue MissionsThere are a lot of places a patrol car just can't go...and that's where these guys come in.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis 2JZ-Swapped Jeep Wrangler on Craigslist Is Unholy in the Best WayIt's the "only one in existence," according to the seller.READ NOW