Dodge Viper ACR Heading Back to the Nurburgring for a New Record Attempt in July
A Gofundme account has raised enough money to give America's baddest serpent a crack at the Green Hell.
The Dodge Viper ACR is heading to the Nurburgring in an attempt to nail down a 'Ring record once again.
Over the course of four months, a Gofundme page organized by Russ Oasis has surpassed its goal of raising $159,000 to transport a Viper ACR to the Nurburgring for record-setting purposes. According to the fundraiser page, two Viper ACR Extremes are being provided by ViperExchange. The twin Dodge speed machines will be driven by two drivers, Dominik Farnbacher and Luca Stolz, who are both incredibly familiar with the 12.9-mile Nordschleife; Farnbacher set the Dodge Viper's record the last tim it ran the 'Ring, while Stoltz secured pole position at last year's Blancpain GT Series Endurance Cup behind the wheel of a Lamborghini.
According to the Gofundme account, the $159,000 required funds cover shipping the Vipers, the track time, and other supplies and general expenses that might come up. All of the personnel involved. however, are volunteering simply to be a part of the endeavor.
In 2011, the Viper ACR nailed the production-car record when Farnbacher managed a 7:12.13-minute lap around the Nordschleife. But if the Viper is to once again shatter the record board, these guys are going to have to go hard; since then, Porsche, Lamborghini, Nio, and McLaren have all moved the goalposts for Nurburgring runs. The current holder of the official production car lap record remains something of a question, as the Nio EP9 and Mclaren P1 LM's street-legality is arguable—but the Viper ACR will need to at least outdo the Lamborghini Huracan Performante's 6:52 lap time.
According to a Facebook post, the lap attempts will happen in July. We can't wait to see what happens.
- RELATEDNew Powertrain Details Revealed for the 2018 Dodge DemonDodge has released more information about the Demon's hellish engine, giving you some ammunition for trivia night.READ NOW
- RELATEDJohn Hennessey's Twin-Turbo Viper Venom 800 Is for SaleThis was the first twin turbo Venom made and was Hennessey's personal car for some time.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Dodge Viper Is Sold Out ForeverThe final-generation Dodge Viper stays in production until the end of August, but it's too late to put your order in.READ NOW
- RELATEDDodge Is Taking More Viper Orders and Cadillac Returns to Endurance Racing: The Evening RushPlus, the perfect everday carry knife is waiting for you.READ NOW
- RELATEDFaraday Future to Take on Tesla for Pikes Peak Electric Car RecordTwo California-based EVs will climb Pikes Peak this month, but just one will leave as record holder.READ NOW