Watch This NHRA Funny Car Explode Around Its Driver
The wheelman was unharmed, but his underwear is presumed a total loss.
You know what sucks? Having engine components and body pieces from your funny car dragster fly at you while you're doing 200 mph. That's exactly what happened to racer Jack Beckman at New England Dragway during a qualifying session for the 2016 NHRA New England Nationals a few days ago...and it was all caught on video.
It seems Beckman's Infinite Hero Dodge Charger funny car had some, uh, mechanical problems during his third qualifying run. As a result, his car's engine exploded in what pretty much appears to be the most spectacularly Hollywood fashion possible without resorting to Michael Bay-style pyrotechnics or CGI.
As you can see from the video, even with all those race car bits flying around him, Beckman was able to keep the dragster in check and under control. In a post-incident interview, Beckman explains he had to quickly wipe oil off his visor after the explosion in order to even know where he was going. "It was nice to know" that he wasn't going to end up in a wall, he said. Beckman goes on to thank his safety gear, which took much of the heat for him in the explosion. Sure does take a lot to pull these drag racing guys out of their comfort zones.
- RELATEDThe Glory and Insanity of NHRA Drag RacingRon Capps set a track record at qualifying for Sunday's NHRA New England Nationals. Before the race, here's a look back at drag racing over the years.READ NOW
- RELATEDHagan, Kalitta Cooking With NHRA NitroLine, Krawiec win in Pro Stock and Motorcycle in AtlantaREAD NOW
- RELATEDNHRA Drag Racing in Super Slow-Mo is Borderline PornographicSometimes fast looks better slow.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe World's Slowest Motorcycle Drag Race Is Also the BestReal-Life Ricky Bobby. We're guessing they didn't kiss afterwards.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Motorcycle Drag Racer's Night Went Very Wrong, Very FastBike and rider went flying down the track—but not in the usual way.READ NOW