This Turbocharged Mazda Miata Fastback Is Delightful
Looks like an old British racer, drives like a Miata.
What is it about the Mazda MX-5 Miata which makes it so beloved? Perhaps it's the near 50:50 weight distribution or the fact that for nearly 30 years, the roadster has consistently weighed less than 2,500 pounds. The engine has just enough output to make it a blast to drive without ever feeling overpowering. And let's not forget that the top folds away, allowing the driver to enjoy the sights and sounds of the open road. The Miata is simplicity sports car purity at its finest. No wonder it's always the answer.
At first glance, this particular Miata doesn't appear to be a Miata at all. Nearly everything on this car has been altered: the motor has been bored and, with the addition of a turbo, it's producing more than twice its stock power. The roadster has been transformed into a fastback finished in British racing green complete with yellow race stripes.
Matt went for a drive in this retro-chic Miata and was absolutely delighted:
- RELATEDBBR's New Stage 1 Turbocharger Adds Nearly 100 Horsepower to the Mazda MiataAccording to BBR, the Miata MX-5 will now hit 60 mph in 5 seconds flat.READ NOW
- RELATEDWhy the Nissan R34 Skyline GT-R Is Still the BestPSA: Godzilla is king of the concrete jungle.READ NOW
- RELATEDYou Can Score $2,000 Off a New Mazda MX-5 MiataNot surprisingly, however, there's a catch.READ NOW
- RELATEDHere’s How You Can Love the Mazda MX-5 Miata and Save $25,000A used first-generation Miata will leave you just as happy as the new one.READ NOW
- RELATEDCheck Out This 385-HP Supercharged Honda S2000 Track MonsterThis S2K pumps out an extra 150 hp—for only 10 grand.READ NOW