Watch This EK9 Civic Type R And DC2 Integra Type R Battle
While the 2017 Civic Type R arrives this year, let's take a look back to where it all began.
If you're looking for a better argument for slow car fast over fast car slow, look no further than Honda's Type R gems of the '90s. The 'R' may stand for racing, but the DC2 Integra Type R only pushes out 200 horsepower and the EK9 Honda Civic Type R is even more modest at 180 horsepower.
Still, even car enthusiasts who are only mildly familiar with these old Type Rs will know the sublime balance and chassis dynamics make these cars feel greater than the sum of its parts.
20 years after the first EK9 Civic Type R was produced, Honda continues its Type R lineage with the latest 2017 Civic Type R, the very first 'CTR' available for sale in the U.S. market (The USDM 'ITR' arrived in 1997), and currently on display at the 2017 New York Auto Show.
With a 2.0 liter turbo power unit, the 2017 Civic Type R boasts 306 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque. Available with an adjustable suspension, lightweight aluminum suspension components, Brembo brakes, a limited-slip differential, and a gigantic rear wing, the new 'CTR' is a completely different animal compared to its predecessors. And although the 2017 Civic Type R will no doubt win in a fast lap around the Nürburgring, the original EK9 CTR and DC2 ITR wins our hearts.
Enjoy a blast from the past and check out this Best Motoring EK9 Civic Type R vs. DC2 Integra Type R comparison test at the quick Ebisu East Circuit, featuring Keiichi Tuschiya and Gan-san in a video from the archives that originally aired in 1997, exactly 20 years ago.
- RELATEDProduction-Spec Honda Civic Type R Spotted on California HighwayHonda's 306-horsepower hot hatch has reached American shores at long last.READ NOW
- RELATEDRide Along With This Sharkwerks Tuned GT3 RS!Sharkwerks has been turning out some pretty amazing cars basically since Porsche's watercooled era began. They're based in Northern California, and they've got a lot of really great cars under their belt. This 991 GT3 RS video just proves how great their cars sound!READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Tuned Cadillac CTS-V Blow Away a Dodge Charger Hellcat in a Half-Mile Drag RaceThe Hellcat gets the jump off the line, but the CTS-V quickly shows Dodge who is boss.READ NOW
- RELATEDHyundai’s New N-Tuned Hatchback Makes Wonderfully Stupid NoisesThe Koreans have dropped the first exhaust clip for their rally-inspired five-door. It sounds... raw.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew York Bombing Suspect Ahmad Khan Rahami Reportedly a Tuned Honda Civic Enthusiast“He always talked about fast Honda Civics, about how he loved them.”READ NOW