11-Year-Old Dies Following Accident At Alonso's Kart Circuit
The young man lost his life following a tragic accident while practicing for a kart race in Spain.
11-year-old Gonzalo Basurto Movila died as a result of injuries sustained in a karting accident over the weekend. The accident happened at Fernando Alono's Karting Circuit in Spain.
El Comercio reported that the young driver was taking place in a private practice session on Saturday ahead of the Asturian Karting Championship race scheduled for Sunday. Movila collided with another kart and was overturned, with the kart landing on top of him. Following the accident, the race was cancelled.
El Comercio subsequently said that a team of psychologists have been on hand to help the other young karters who raced with and knew Movila.
The The Royal Spanish Federation of Motorsport, the Automobile Federation of the Principality of Asturias, and the FIA are investigating the accident. The RFEdeA released a statement regarding the accident. Translated via Google:
Spanish motor racing has awakened this morning with the sad news of the death of Gonzalo Basurto Movila, who yesterday suffered a serious accident in private practice before a test of the Asturian Karting Championship.
The Spaniard driver, 11 years old, left us in the early hours of this morning, after not being able to overcome the consequences of the fatal accident.
The Royal Spanish Federation of Motorsport wants to show its most absolute pain and dismay at the loss of Gonzalo, while thanking the gestures of affection and sensitivity received from all areas of our sport.
In the various competitions held today are spontaneously making homage to the figure of the young driver, as a sign of the irreparable pain that leaves its loss and the union of the whole family of motorsports.
From the RFEdeA, in coordination with the Automobile Federation of the Principality of Asturias and with the FIA, we are working on the analysis of this tragic accident and, later on, to be able to offer a more complete information of the event.
Likewise, this entity thanks the respect and sensitivity with which the sad news is being addressed, reiterating the total support of the Spanish motorsport to the relatives and friends of Gonzalo. Our deepest condolences. Rest in Peace, Gonzalo.
Fernando Alonso, who is at Barber Motorsports Park to observe the IndyCar Grand Prix of Alabama, woke up to news of the tragedy. Alonso tweeted "I wake up early in the morning in one of the saddest days. Shattered. From here, a big hug to the family of Gonzalo and all karting."
We at The Drive offer our most sincere, heartfelt condolences to the Movila family and all those affected by this tragic loss.
- RELATEDBilly Monger Has Both Lower Legs Amputated After Formula 4 CrashMonger's injuries are the result of the horrific crash he was involved in while racing over the weekend in the F4 series.READ NOW
- RELATEDBilly Monger Has Woken Up To An Avalanche of SupportThe severely injured Formula 4 driver has just as much fight in him as ever.READ NOW
- RELATEDTwo Killed in Lamborghini Crash at Las Vegas Supercar Track Driving EventA driver and instructor for SpeedVegas were both killed in their Lamborghini after the car spun, hit a barrier, and caught on fire.READ NOW
- RELATEDTwo Killed, Three Injured During Horrific Nürburgring CrashTourist driver wrecks into group of people at legendary German circuit.READ NOW
- RELATEDNone Better: Remembering Sprint Car Driver Dave SteeleWhat appears to be a freak accident took another open-wheel racer Saturday night.READ NOW