Boston Radio Host on Death of Dale Earnhardt: 'I Root for the Wall’
Sports talk show personality Michael Felger also included the late MLB pitcher Roy Halladay in the rant.
Following the death of former Major Leaguer Roy Halladay on Nov. 7, Boston radio show host Michael Felger went on a rant that bashed not only the acclimated pitcher but also Nascar legend Dale Earnhardt. During his show just one day after Halladay's passing, Felger is quoted saying that the athlete "got what he deserved" following his crash in an Icon A5 airplane off the Florida coast. He then went on to mention Earnhardt who died in an accident at the Daytona 500 in 2001.
First addressing Halladay's accident, Felger claimed, “It just sorta angers me. You care that little about your life? Or the life of your family? Your little joyride is that important to you?" He continued to attack him by mocking the two-time Cy Young Award winner. "I’m Maverick. Yeah man, look at this, it’s so cool!’ And you die. Splat. And it’s over. So you’re that guy? You have to do that?
“Whee! Oh look, I just landed on the water, everybody. I’m gonna tweet it!’ Splat. You’re dead. Two kids. Moron. I find that offensive, that you are that cavalier about life. I’m sorry, dude, you’re on your own. I got no sympathy for you. If I die helicopter skiing, you have the right to do the exact same thing I’m doing to Roy Halladay. He got what he deserved.”
Felger then jumped to the case of Dale Earnhardt, showing similar feelings towards "The Man in Black" and his family.
“Was it Dale Earnhardt who died? The race car driver who died? I root for the wall. I really do. That ain’t no tragedy ... I’m supposed to feel bad for you? Give me a break. Oh God,” he said.
NBC Sports Boston has since suspended Felger from going on air through Sunday, according to the Boston Herald. Felger traditionally hosts the New England Patriots pre- and postgame shows, though he won't be doing either for this Sunday's game against the Denver Broncos. NBC Sports released the following statment regarding Felger's comments:
“As a result of his insensitive comment about Roy Halladay and Dale Earnhardt on Wednesday, Michael Felger will not appear on NBC Sports Boston, effective immediately through Sunday. While we don’t have editorial control of the content of his radio show, which we simulcast, Felger’s comments are not representative of our network’s views or standards.”
You can listen to the full rant here.
- RELATEDDale Earnhardt Jr. Is Gifted His Father's Car for Final Talladega RaceEarnhardt Jr. is gifted his fathers 1979 Monte Carlo which was raced in his rookie season.READ NOW
- RELATEDFormer MLB Pitcher Roy Halladay Dies After His Icon A5 Crashes Off the Florida CoastThe 40-year-old ex-ballplayer was a licensed pilot with an apparent love for the sky.READ NOW
- RELATEDWhat NASCAR Loses When Dale Earnhardt Jr. RetiresJunior is more than the most popular driver in NASCAR history. He's the soul of the sport.READ NOW
- RELATEDAlex Bowman Will Take Over No. 88 Car From Dale Earnhardt Jr.The Hendrick Motorsport newcomer will represent the historic number come 2018.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Strange Saga of (Maybe) Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 ContinuesAfter Earnhardt claimed a listing for a Corvette once owned by him was fraudulent, the internet descended on the dealer.READ NOW