An All-New Infiniti QX50 Cometh
The aging crossover is finally getting a major design overhaul.
Ahead of this year's Los Angeles Auto Show, Infiniti has teased the second generation QX50. The crossover, which started out as the EX prior to the luxury automaker's new nomenclature, has been sold largely unchanged for the past decade. The current model shares many characteristics such as styling and powertrain with the defunct G37. The all-new QX50 promises to be much more.
The redesigned crossover will feature a new 2.0-liter four-pot upfront good for 268 horsepower and 288 pound-feet of torque. That is a 60 hp and 30 lb-ft of torque increase from the current 2.0-liter turbo sourced from Mercedes-Benz and available in the Q50, Q60, and QX30. The new four-cylinder will also be the world's first turbocharged variable compression ratio engine. It is capable of delivering the performance expected from that of a gasoline engine with the torque of a diesel. Paired exclusively with a Continous Variable Transmission, it will also be highly efficient.
The QX50 may also be the first Infiniti sold with autonomous driving capabilities. Previewed in concept form at the North American International Auto Show earlier this year, the QX50 showed off laser scanners, radars, and cameras to improve road safety. Thanks to this and a new engine, Infiniti is boasting "world-first technologies" along with "class-leading interior space" for the upcoming QX50. Next week's reveal will show the truth to these claims.
- RELATEDThe Infiniti QX80 Has Never Looked This GoodNissan's luxury division nails it with the redesigned full-size SUV.READ NOW
- RELATEDInfiniti QX50 Flexes its Guns at DetroitThe first host of the VC-T engine wows the crowd.READ NOW
- RELATEDInfiniti to Cut Off QX70 ProductionIt turns out it's possible for a luxury brand to have too many crossovers.READ NOW
- RELATEDInfiniti QX50 Could be the First to Receive VC-T EngineIt's set to debut at the Detroit Auto Show.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2017 Infiniti QX60 Is the All-Around Family SUV You've Been Looking ForThe 2017 QX60 is Infiniti's big, comfy, good-looking crossover, and it comes with just the right amount of luxury.READ NOW