Lamborghini Donates Huracan to Pope Francis for Charity
No, this is not the new Popemobile.
Pope Francis has ridden (or not ridden) in a wide variety of "Popemobiles" ranging from a Mercedes M-Class to an Opel Ampera-e (Europe's version of the Chevy Bolt) to a Fiat 500L. Now His Holiness has added another Italian car to his fleet—a custom-built Lamborghini Huracan.
But Pope Francis will not be cruising around the Vatican in a Lambo. This car was built and personalized by Lamborghini's customization program Ad Personam, to be auctioned, with proceeds benefiting charities of the Pope's choosing. Those would be the Pontifical Foundation “Aiuto alla Chiesa che Soffre” (Aid to the Church in Need); the Pope John XXIII Community; GICAM, an organization that brings surgeons and medical assistance to areas that have none; and “Amici per il Centrafrica” (Friends of Central Africa). RM Sotheby's will auction this unique Lamborghini on May 12, 2018. Considering that the Pope's Fiat 500L sold for $82,000 last year, one can only imagine how much this holy Huracan will fetch.
As fun as it is to imagine Pope Francis driving a Lamborghini, he is rightfully more interested in the plight of the poor than a 5.2-liter V-10 engine generating more than 600 horsepower.
- RELATEDThe Pope’s Fiat 500L Just Sold for $82,000A ridiculous price for a mediocre economy hatchback? Or a heavy discount on absolution by osmosis?READ NOW
- RELATEDGeneral Motors Gives Pope Francis a European Chevy BoltThe Bishop of Rome has a new electric ride, thanks to Opel.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe $300,000 Popemobile’s Buyer Is a SinnerThe road to redemption leads through a Fiat 500L.READ NOW
- RELATEDHere Are All the Mercedes Popemobiles That Francis Won’t Ride InThe Pope is letting all this swagger gather dust.READ NOW
- RELATEDPope Francis, We’ve Got You SurroundedThe papal visit has spawned the largest security detail the NYPD has ever deployed.READ NOW