New York May Force Uber to Allow Credit Card Tips
Will this deter people from using the app...or will it make for happier drivers?
Many New Yorkers use Uber because you don’t have to worry after you plug in your starting point and destination. You don’t have to worry about payment, and you really don’t have to worry about tipping. However, things might change over the next few months; New York City’s Taxi and Limousine Commission is proposing Uber and other credit card payment ride services allow the option to tip electronically.
A petition created by the Independent Drivers Guild has gained 11,000 signatures in favor of electronic tipping as they strongly feel it will help drivers make a living wage.
In October alone, rides used Uber 16 million times in New York. With numbers like that, it is understandable that drivers would want the opportunity to snag a little more money per ride. Still, many riders use Uber in [art due to the convenience of not having to worry about tipping on a payment.
What about you, reader? Do you think it's important for Uber and other ride-hailing services to offer a way for users to tip with their credit cards? Let us know what you think in the comments below.
- RELATEDWatch This Glorious Video of the 1994 New York International Auto Show#FlashbackFriday, New York Auto Show style.READ NOW
- RELATEDFCA Released Recap Video of Its 2017 New York Auto Show DebutsBetween the Dodge Demon and the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, it's clear FCA didn't come to make friends.READ NOW
- RELATEDBeijing Is Swapping Nearly 70,000 Gas Taxis For Electric CarsThis couldn't hurt for a city with pollution as bad as Beijing.READ NOW
- RELATEDTaxis in Japan Are Using Artificial Intelligence to Predict Ride RequestsNTT Docomo's predictive technology increased business for one taxi driver by 20 percent.READ NOW
- RELATEDUber Saw Sales Grow to $20 Billion in 2016, But Also Saw Big LossesIn a rare disclosure of fiscal information, Uber revealed both the good and the bad in its finances.READ NOW