Highway-Jumping Dirt Biker Critically Injured in New Stunt
Kyle Katsandris overshot the landing while attempting to jump a set of train tracks.
Last month, the internet's hot take machine kicked into high gear when video emerged of California motocross rider Kyle Katsandris jumping over the four-lane 60 Freeway just east of Los Angeles. Some were impressed with the sheer balls it took to pull it off, while others thought he should be prosecuted for trespassing and reckless endangerment, but there's no denying the stunt captured hundreds of thousands of minds. Sadly though, Katsandris was critically injured this week when he overshot the landing on a follow-up attempt involving a set of train tracks in nearby Simi Valley, according to the Los Angeles Times.
There are few details of the ill-fated stunt, but emergency crews rushed Katsandris to the hospital in "critical, but stable" condition on Sunday after receiving a call a little after 3pm. Though no footage has come out, it took place at a well-known spot in the small world of high-stakes illegal motocross jumps and video exists of man completing the stunt about fifteen years ago. It shows a crowd watch as the rider rockets up a hillside and launches over a moving freight train, disappearing behind an opposing hilltop.
KTLA-TV tracked down the man in the video, who says he warned Katsandris that "a lot of things could go wrong" when the 24-year-old reached out for advice last month, and estimated the jump was at least 160 feet across. Although police say Katsandris was trespassing and violating the local municipal code on off-road driving, the Ventura County Star reports authorities aren't sure whether he'll be charged with anything.
After his highway jump video went viral, Caltrans officials blocked off hillside ramp Katsandris used and announced they'd prosecute anyone who attempted a copycat stunt. This location is on private property, however, so it remains to be seen what if anything will be done to stop him from trying again once he's recovered. Hopefully he's learned how big is too big.
- RELATEDCalifornia Dirt Bike Rider Jumps the 60 Freeway in Dangerous StuntThe caption on his Instagram video reads, "The keyboard warriors were out in full force. Where are you now."READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Three Dirt Bike Riders Barely Evade an Oncoming TrainMaybe it's time to heed the signs that say "Stay off the tracks!"READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Dirt Bike Land On the Hood Of a Jeep WranglerThe Wrangler cuts in front of the rider just as he get airborne off a massive dune—and a nail-biter ensues.READ NOW
- RELATEDNo Dirt Bike Can Master This Impossible Hill ClimbWatching bikers try to blast up Belgium's baddest bluff never gets old.READ NOW
- RELATEDDirt Biker Frees Pinned ATV Rider, MacGyver-styleMeet the good Samaritan with a bad back.READ NOW